Testing Small Batch Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimFarAway

Reaction score
I'm making a couple 1 gallon batches. If I test OG just before pitching my yeast, then wait 10-14 days and test FG 3 days in a row to confirm that the yeast is done... but never pour the testing beer back into the fermenter... There won't be anything left to drink. All I will have accomplished is a nice grown-up science experiment.

As long as everything is sanitized well, is it alright to pour the test beer back in after testing?

This may not really solve your current problem, but might I recommend a refractometer. Only need a tiny amount of beer to test (pipet full). You've just need to remember to adjust for alcohol in fermenting beer.

I usually pour mine back in. But I don't take 3 readings (gasp! heretic!!!). I check once after 2-3 weeks. My beers stay in primary for 3 weeks anyway. The 3-consecutive rule only makes sense if you're intending to move your beer along as soon as possible. If you wait until it's certainly done and has started clearing, one reading is all you need.

Taking three readings over three days is as outdated as the requirement for secondary fermenters, hot-side aeration, and yeast autolysis in the yeast cake.

I'd probably give it the a full 3 weeks so I know the beer is going to be at its FG and then take the gravity one time.

Back