testing corny seals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Illinibrew

Reaction score
To test a corny for leaks do you leave the keg empty or fill it with Water??

My thought was the water may save on CO2 used, but then didn't know if there was a negative to this method.

i find it easier to keep it empty and then use star san around the seals to see if it is leaking, or if i have a hard time finding a leak, but know one is there, i'll dunk it upside down in a tub of water to look for gas bubbles. or i just replace all seals and be done with it.

co2 is really cheap, and the amount needed to fill a keg is very little, so i wouldn't worry about it.

I leave mine empty, pressurize to about 20 psi, fill up the bathtub and submerge the keg in the tub and look for bubbles. It is an absolutely fool proof method of locating leaks.

John

You can by leak indicator for gas and air leaks at your hardwear store. or just mix 1 part water to 1 part dish soap. it will make bubles when it leaks.

thanks guys.

I had done the soapy water test... but did it with the keg full of water. Didn't find any leaks. I took off the CO2 and 24 hours later i pulled the release pin and there was just a very short release (less than 1 full second) and it was a weak release at that.

So, i thought i'd ask to see if i should empty the keg and try again. I like the method of putting on pressure and then submerging in the tub.

Illinibrew said:
I took off the CO2 and 24 hours later i pulled the release pin and there was just a very short release (less than 1 full second) and it was a weak release at that.

You can't do that to check for leaks. If you put a keg full of water under CO2 pressure, take the gas line off and leave it, the CO2 will go into solution and reduce the pressure in the headspace, so the next time you check the pressure it will appear as though it leaked out. This is how you make soda water.

John

Thank you for answering the question I now realize I wanted to ask.

Very Much Appreciated.

If I still have a leak after I've replaced the o-rings...what's the next thing on the checklist???

Trust me on this. Pressurize the empty keg and dunk in into a full bath tub of water. It will require some force to keep it submerged. Rotate it around and look for leaks. This method will find even the smallest of leaks. Just look for the train of bubbles. Don't just look at the lid and posts, look at the entire keg body. One of the kegs that I bought had to be returned to the vendor because I found a small crack in the keg body. It was down near the rubber on the bottom of the keg and I would have never found it if I didn't submerge it in the tub.

Keg lube on the o-ring seals, poppet seals and relief valve seal will really help eliminate any leaks at those points.

John

flyhigh said:
or just mix 1 part water to 1 part dish soap. it will make bubles when it leaks.

I find this to be the easiest method. Fill the corny part way, put the seal on, apply 30 psi, and then apply the water& soap solution. If it bubbles, the seal may be bad, or just need to be reseated.

Back