Testing Brew Stand Welds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcblf

Reaction score
Just finished welding up 2.5 tier brew stand. My welding skills are elementary and crude. We are not entering any beauty contest.
I have stood all over ever weld with 178Lbs of me and everything seems solid. Next I will fill up the BK & HLT (15 Gallons each) and fire it up to a boil. Will heat from the burner have any effect on the welds??? i.e. Weaken the welded joints???
Is there any other tests I should be doing before sparking this bad boy up???
Any advice is welcome
Thanks

Put a scrap piece of wood over the weld and smack it with a baby sledge, that should do you!

Ho did you weld the stand, MIG, Stick, or TIG?
How about a pic or two of your welds.

+1 for wyzazz or a chipping hammer:

Chipping%20Hammer%20L.gif

Thanks. I mig welded it using C02 for shielding gas, since I have cylinders of that laying around. I used the mini sledge with a block of wood and I have one weld I need to redo.
I am almost there.....
Cheers

You need not worry about heat weakening any of the welds. If the welds are weak, the shear forces are the concern (as demonstrated by the maul & wood technique). Heat generally only helps out metals.

It is also good you are not using flux cored . . . that stuff is JUNK.

I think you should heat it up and then do a jump test, that way if you find a bad weld it will cauterize and sterilize the impale wound :)

Just finished welding up 2.5 tier brew stand. My welding skills are elementary and crude. We are not entering any beauty contest.
I have stood all over ever weld with 178Lbs of me and everything seems solid. Next I will fill up the BK & HLT (15 Gallons each) and fire it up to a boil. Will heat from the burner have any effect on the welds??? i.e. Weaken the welded joints???
Is there any other tests I should be doing before sparking this bad boy up???
Any advice is welcome
Thanks

If you stood over every weld, I would say you are good to go.

Back