Terrible Efficiency HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMannion87

Reaction score
Last night I brewed my third BIAB batch. My previous two batches were spot on in terms of predicted OG. This batch had a predicted OG of 1.062, my actual OG was 1.043. My hydrometer has been calibrated in distilled water and reads 1.004 and I adjusted for temperature difference. I mashed at 152 for 90 minutes with 4 gallons water in the oven and dunked sparged with roughly 2 gallons of water for 10 minutes. No loss of temperature over the mash period. Squeezed the bag to get everything I could out. 60 minute boil, topped off with roughly a half gallon of spring water.

Where did I go wrong and what can I do to save this brew? Right now I'm looking at a very weak Robust Porter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Recipe Type: All Grain

Grain

9.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)
1.00 lbs. Munich Malt
1.00 lbs. Crystal 60L
0.75 lbs. Chocolate Malt
0.50 lbs. Black Patent Malt

Hops

1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. 60 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. 20 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. 5 min.

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 12.25
Water Qts: 15.31
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.25

Saccharification Rest Temp : 152F Time: 60
Sparge Temp : 170F

Yeast - WLP007 w/ starter

Who did the crush? The quality of the crush on the grains is the biggest factor in efficiency. For BIAB, you want the finest crush you can get. You don't need intact husks for the filter bed and partially cracked grains just don't release the sugars like finely crushed grains do. If you aren't doing your own crush, ask for double crush. If you are refused, buy a Corona style mill and mill your own. By using one of those and setting it really fine, I've begun setting the software I use for 80% efficiency and regularly overshoot the predicted OG.

I had the same problem and I was told to stir/beat the sugars out of the grains as they steep

RM-MN said:
Who did the crush? The quality of the crush on the grains is the biggest factor in efficiency. For BIAB, you want the finest crush you can get. You don't need intact husks for the filter bed and partially cracked grains just don't release the sugars like finely crushed grains do. If you aren't doing your own crush, ask for double crush. If you are refused, buy a Corona style mill and mill your own. By using one of those and setting it really fine, I've begun setting the software I use for 80% efficiency and regularly overshoot the predicted OG.

What software do you use?

I had used the online site called Hopville but it has recently been bought out by/absorbed by Brewtoad. I liked the layout of Hopville better but I can work with Brewtoad but not as quickly.

C-Rider said:
I use BeerSmith2, I set it to 78% and usually hit it or better.
So you're setting Brewhouse efficiency in your equipment profile right? BS also measures mash efficiency but you have to enable that field to be displayed. Which one are you hitting?

So you're setting Brewhouse efficiency in your equipment profile right? BS also measures mash efficiency but you have to enable that field to be displayed. Which one are you hitting?

I'm setting the Total Eff above where you list ingredients. The higher you set this the less grain you will need and visa versa. Set it low to until you perfect your brewing. Then you can begin to raise the number, use less grain and still make good beer.

I use this external calculator for Mash Eff and usually hit it.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/brewhouse-efficiency/

To the OP: What did the crush look like?

My LHBS' mill is really variable. I crush myself at the store, and I always double crush, but sometimes put it through 3x, if after 2 I see intact grains. I've had the LHBS people tell me the crush looked fine, but in fact it was terrible; when I've been patient and crushed really well, then my efficiency is fine.

I really should get my own mill...

Back