Teriyaki Barley wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soy sauce flavors are pretty typical of yeast autolysis. Maybe getting some oxidized flavors as well.

Sounding like autolysis. I think its the glutomates that it generates that is similar to some of the flavors in soy sauce...or beef stock.

Ok,good to know. I was also musing that maybe some combo of ingredients at the wrong temps might help cause it to happen? Just a thought. Like to try partial mash soon. So the OP's question is one I figured I should explore as well.

I had a failed barley wine that I hit with AE and it tasted like Kikkoman's soy sauce. In a blind taste test mine may have been more soy sauce than kikkomans lol. I was sure I was going to have to use it for stir fry because of this but I left it alone. 6 months later and it tastes MUCH better. The soy sauce taste is barley detectable and it now tastes like an Imperial stout/BW. I still have some and will continue to age it. YMMV.

I was wondering about this. My first experience with homebrew was from the brother of a buddy who had just done his first batch of homebrew EVER, and of course it was some ridiculous oaked russian imperial super stout porter barleywine with vanilla, rum and hazelnuts (or something equally silly with a similarly gargantuan grain bill).

Just tasted like sweet, malty soy sauce. It was terrible. Wish I knew exactly what it was so that I can totally avoid this in the future. Still makes me cringe.

Well,you have to keep in mind as well the fact that barley wines & stouts need a lot of aging time to mature,let alone carbonate. Def not a quick turnaround brew. They're real cellared brews.

I know it's fermented,but the way it tastes,It struck me as vinegary. But in the sense of an aged balsamic. Balsamic,made well,tastes more like a bright rich sauce than a straight up vinegar product.

I was actually looking to post on this same thing. How did this end up?

I brewed a "robust porter" recipe from my HBS that ended up smelling like soy/teriyaki sauce. Is it going to clean itself up or should I just dump it? It mostly tastes just ok, but it's hard to drink it smelling the way it does.

mine cleaned itself up. I repitched, then after another month, cooled it down and drank. it got better and better... then it was gone.

Latest posts

Back