Tepache!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the average fermentation time for this, and can I edit the original post so the info is there?

I'm starting mine tonight.

I'll edit it. When I wrote the OP, I didn't know. I let it go too long. If there is a consensus on when to stop the fermentation, I'll edit. Let me know. It's likely the answer is in the posts above; I didn't look.

I think this would be a great article.

I'll take pics tonight as I go.

I'd use a hydrometer to stop fermentation once it went below 75% attenuation, said the brewer who'd never even heard of Tepache before... I don't think I'd like drinking it if tasted like rocket fuel....just sayin'.

I'd use a hydrometer to stop fermentation once it went below 75% attenuation, said the brewer who'd never even heard of Tepache before... I don't think I'd like drinking it if tasted like rocket fuel....just sayin'.

I like rocket fuel...all the same I'm going to make it palatable.

I've had too many bad experiences relying on wild yeasts. I would suggest washing your fruit etc, then using a champagne yeast. Guaranteed fermentation, no flavors carried over, nice alcohol kick! Why gamble on a brew? Try it...

If you wash the skins/sanitize, then pitch commercial yeast, it won't be tepache. It may or may not ferment well and taste good, but not the same product. It's like replacing the honey in Mead with white sugar, because there are too many honeys to choose from. Sure, you'll get a consistent alcoholic beverage, but it won't be mead.

As for length of fermentation, it does vary, depending on temperature, the bug you get working, and how much alcohol you prefer. Some like it barely fermented, as a refreshing Summer drink. Others want much more alcohol. Mine usually takes about 2 days to get going and then about a week to get to where I like it. But it is a matter of tasting it.

I made tepache recently for the first time and loved it. I didn't use a fermentation trap as anything that could come in from outside was likely on the pineapple anyway. I would suggest getting an organic pineapple since you are using peels and it's hard to know what pesticide residues might still be there. It's okay to wash the peels, you won't get rid of all the yeast.

I didn't add any beer to mine, I just let it go for around 6 days until I liked the flavor and the alcohol level (which was not extremely high), then put it into old Grolsch bottles (sealable) and left it out for another couple of days before refrigerating. It came out great with a nice fizz. My recipe called for the whole pineapple (some people just use the peels), one 8 oz cone of piloncillo, a couple of cinnamon sticks (use good cinnamon) and 3 cloves. The meat of the pineapple is really good after the fermentation process too; it didn't stick around very long. ;)

Tepache FTW!!!

I found this thread yesterday and got really excited.

Did a little research, started my first batch tonight.

Added one pineapple rind and core, eight ounces of Piloncillo, a stick of cinnamon, a little star anise, 2 allspice berries, 2 cardamom pods, a handful of cherries, 4 tbls of agave nectar and about 8 ounces of pineapple juice.

Here goes nothing....

I found a recipe that said to add a 12 ounce beer on the second day do you think that would be to increase the alcohol level to help ward off some of the sours? Or am I way off base?

1469072754406.jpg

20160720_224743.jpg

I'm not sure what the purpose is for adding the beer. A homebrew with live yeast might kick up a little more fermentation, but a commercial beer wouldn't. I've tried it and honestly didn't like it. But mixing it half and half with a good Summer lawnmower beer is great, when you're ready to start drinking it. I don't know why, but adding one to fermentation just didn't taste right to me.

Generally the beer is added at the very end, just to give some carbonation and a bit more alcohol. I don't use it; I prefer to strain and bottle it (save those Grolsch bottlees!), leave them out for a day, then refrigerate. That way you get unadulterated pineapple flavor.

As for the ingredients - I would never use Agave syrup. It contributes nothing and it's as bad as high-fructose corn syrup for you, despite their deceptive advertising. No need to add pineapple juice.

I'd also slice the pineapple thinner to allow the flavor to escape more easily into the brew. Some people blend the pineapple; I've done that but I prefer thin slices because the pineapple is delicious to eat after the brewing's done!

Lastly, I'd go easier on the spices and other additions, or at least make it with a more original recipe first to get an idea of how it tastes, then experiment. The typical recipe is cinnamon and a couple cloves; with juniper berries, allspice, cardamom and star anise, I think you risk masking the flavors. But if you like it, why not? Let us know how it turns out!

Added to much spice,Bottled to early, ended up with gushers, that tasted horrible

Bummer. I definitely found that mine carbed very quicky when bottled...like 18 hours, if I remember correctly...24 hours was too much. I went through the stovetop pasteurizing on mine, too. It was a pain in the ass, but effective.

Quick question. Is it better to do tepache with an airlock or with cheesecloth and a rubber band so oxygen can get in?

You mean "open air" vs air lock? I wouldn't think so. You might get some more/different critters doing the fermentation without the airlock, but that might not be a good thing. Tepache is more forgiving than beer, but I just don't trust it...probably just paranoid.

Let me start by saying that it is my first homebrew.
I gave Tepache a try. My recipe was as follows:
-rinds and core from 1 pineapple (lightly rinsed, because it was not organic)
-some fresh ginger - crushed an sliced
-1 tsp of cinnamon,
-1/4 tsp of chilli powder (i didn't want to overpower it with spices)
-3l of water
-1.5 cups of white sugar (here I went completely prison style)

Since I don't have any equipment, I used big jar. Being afraid of mold, I wanted to keep pieces of pineapple submerged, so I put a ring of parchment on the surface of the liquid. The next day I've decided it would be better to just stir it, since I have to manually burp it either way, so I ditched the parchment. Within two days I had some activity (nice bubbles), but there was kinda rubbery smell (not burnt rubber). It wasn't very unpleasant, just supprising - maybe it was just strong hit of CO2 to my nostrils. Thankfully, it was gone in the end. I let it ferment for a week and one day total, burping it and stirring twice a day (I was very impatient). Then I strained it, and bottled in plastic PET bottles (please don't kill me for it). I'm letting it carb now, till bottles will be hard and then I will refrigerate them. I think I will drink it very fast, so I'm not concerned with pasteurizing it - especially since it is said to have lots of probiotics.

I tried some and it is not sweet, very little sour and little bit bitter (the bitterness tasted like it was coming from ginger). It was very refreshing especially with some ice cubes, although I would prefer for it to be little more sour. To the taste I think the content of the alcohol was around that of a regular beer - 5%. From some calculator, this amount of sugar should produce 6.7% of alcohol.

So here are my questions to experienced homebrewers:
1. What can I do to make it more sour? (ferment it in the open jar?)
2. What could be the source of rubbery smell?
3. Can I use the same pineapple bits for a second batch?
4. Can I use pomegranate juice instead of water with sugar (it is very sweet - 12.5g in 100ml, but I will have to sweeten it a little more)? Or add it in the bottles for carbing?

I don't know the answer to most of your questions, but I have a couple of thoughts. Recipes I've seen and what I've followed, is to strain out the solids after 2-4 days, and let the liquid continue to ferment to your taste preference. I would not try to use already fermented pineapple. That initial smell is probably the pineapple...my first time fermenting pineapple, I thought for sure it was going to be nasty, but it does go away. As for the bitterness, I would be suspicious of the chili powder, or the cinnamon maybe. Whole spices are probably better, like cinnamon sticks. My recipe uses that plus about 4 or 5 whole cloves, I think. Chili sounds interesting, but I think I would throw in whole fresh peppers, or remove seeds and stem. Ginger wouldn't be traditional, but I don't see a problem with it. Using the piloncillo sugar, or brown sugar not only provides the alcohol source but also flavor...if you don't ferment your Tepache to jet fuel stage. I have bottled mine before and I can tell you, it carbed much faster than I expected. I was using regular beer bottles, though...never had experience with PET bottles...but mine seemed about right in about 36 hours, I think. I am, by no means, an authority, but that's my two cents, for what it's worth. Oh, and a small (2-1/2 gallon, I think) fermentation bucket and an airlock would be cheap, but handy additions.

I filtered mine and put it in the fridge in a snap top bottle. It carbed up nice even at 38 deg. F.

I began my Tepache on Sunday using 1 pineapple, two cinnamon sticks, brown sugar, and a scored jalapeno (didn't want slices, thought it'd be too hot) in a container that holds between 1 and 2 gallons. Will taste it for the first time tonight (day 3), I can visually identify small bubbles coming off the pineapple pieces which I estimate to be signs of fermentation. We will see how she tastes and I will either get 'er off the fruit and into bottles in the fridge or give it another day or two, not planning on letting it go past Friday on the fruit.

Last edited:
I began my Tepache on Sunday using 1 pineapple, two cinnamon sticks, brown sugar, and a pinch of clove in a container that holds between 1 and 2 gallons. Will taste it for the first time tonight (day 3), I can visually identify small bubbles coming off the pineapple pieces which I estimate to be signs of fermentation. We will see how she tastes and I will either get 'er off the fruit and into bottles in the fridge or give it another day or two, not planning on letting it go past Friday on the fruit.

Good luck!

Tasted my tepache last night, pretty perfect blend of tangy, a little heat from the jalapeno but I was pretty successful in extracting more of the pepper's flavor than heat, which was the goal. The carbonation is really light but present on the tongue, it is just gently effervescent.

The batch is bubbling a bit more vigorously this morning. Tonight I will throw some sanitized cheesecloth on a siphon and will siphon to a bottling bucket and then bottle it, maybe just into a growler or maybe into a couple large brown bottles, right into the fridge. We will see how much the yield is. Planning on breaking it out on Sunday, I am curious to see how it is in under a week turnover. Sunday I started it, will be bottling on day 4 and enjoying by day 5. So far I am super pleased with it and now is the fun part, what to do with it?

My first thoughts are vodka, tequila, or rum could be mixed with it (or beer). It is also potent enough in flavor to be a nice refreshing chaser for a shot of liquor. I would drink it on its own but as it looks now maybe I would pour 3 shots into a glass and fill with seltzer. I will have to experiment and see the different ways tepache can be enjoyed.

I yielded just under a full 64 oz growler. I tried it straight which I enjoyed. I had some friends around, some of whom added a bit to their spiked seltzers, which I must admit was very good. A couple used it to chase shots.

The idea of scoring the jalapeno worked perfectly. When you smell the tepache people notice the strong jalapeno smell however the heat in the drink is very mellow. I also had seen some talk about mixing it with beer, I did mix some with a light session beer and it was great. I think I will likely do several bathes of this over the summer. As a standalone beverage it is good, but the uses are endless. Plus it was only 5 days from cutting the pineapple to enjoying the drink.

I did note that when I bottled yesterday the foaming had really kicked up. I think if I had left it even a day longer it would have started changing in flavor and maybe become too tart. I think it was perfect to give it less than a day at "high foam" and keep it a gently fermented refresher. Maybe I will let one go longer and just see but judging from this batch I thought this might not be a good idea.

I yielded just under a full 64 oz growler. I tried it straight which I enjoyed. I had some friends around, some of whom added a bit to their spiked seltzers, which I must admit was very good. A couple used it to chase shots.

The idea of scoring the jalapeno worked perfectly. When you smell the tepache people notice the strong jalapeno smell however the heat in the drink is very mellow. I also had seen some talk about mixing it with beer, I did mix some with a light session beer and it was great. I think I will likely do several bathes of this over the summer. As a standalone beverage it is good, but the uses are endless. Plus it was only 5 days from cutting the pineapple to enjoying the drink.

I did note that when I bottled yesterday the foaming had really kicked up. I think if I had left it even a day longer it would have started changing in flavor and maybe become too tart. I think it was perfect to give it less than a day at "high foam" and keep it a gently fermented refresher. Maybe I will let one go longer and just see but judging from this batch I thought this might not be a good idea.

I can assure you that it would become tart. I think your process was excellent.

Anyone make Tepache with apple juice instead of water? If so how long did you let it got and what kinda ABV did you get? As it gets warmer outside and inside I wonder if Tepache will ferment fast and get boozy.

I have been reading the previous threads. The yeast is natural, and that can be a problem. There is good yeast and bad yeast (from a taste standpoint). Also, there are clarity concerns based upon the fruits. If you get a good batch, save a portion of the wort/must and use it to seed the next batch. I would boil the ingredients to kill the foreign yeasts, then I would add commercial pectinase to break down the pineapple starches. I haven't looked into it, but it may be good to raise the temp to the proper temp to encourage the pectinase to do it's work -- hold it for a while, then pasteurize it. Add your pure culture yeast later...

Back