Imperial Stout Ten Fidy Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up using my 15 gal pot, but I think this recipe is too big for BIAB. My OG only turned out to be 1.088. I'm sure it will still end up being a really good beer, but just not the clone it was intended to be.

I ended up using my 15 gal pot, but I think this recipe is too big for BIAB. My OG only turned out to be 1.088. I'm sure it will still end up being a really good beer, but just not the clone it was intended to be.

I'm late but highly suggest Beersmith2. Besides just being fun to see recipes created in front of your eyes, with a small amount of work, you can get precise calculations for water needed. This, in addition to EZwatercalc.exe, just Google it, will set you on a path to a better brewing experience and result.

I have a 10 Gallon rubbermaid and at 1.25 liters per Lb it fit perfectly, I had also added a pound of rice hulls.

Good to know, thanks. The next time I make a big beer like this, I'm just gonna mash in 1 pot, and drain into the other for the boil and sparge properly. I still can't wait to see how it turns out

I did this recipe w/BIAB and it turned out great. It was very close to the top of my 15 gal. pot though

Really? What was your OG? How many gal of water did you mash in? Did you sparge? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just very interested in your details as I keep notes on all my brews and want to note this one for next time.

I did this recipe w/BIAB and it turned out great. It was very close to the top of my 15 gal. pot though
Really? What was your OG? How many gal of water did you mash in? Did you sparge? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just very interested in your details as I keep notes on all my brews and want to note this one for next time.

Just checked my notes and I got 1.100 instead of the 1.102 and a FG of 1.022. I mashed 9.25 gallons and no sparge. As I recall, when I put the grains in, I was VERY close to the top of mykettle. I did do a side by side with this and mine compared nicely with OB's

Just checked my notes and I got 1.100 instead of the 1.102 and a FG of 1.022. I mashed 9.25 gallons and no sparge. As I recall, when I put the grains in, I was VERY close to the top of mykettle. I did do a side by side with this and mine compared nicely with OB's
Really, no sparge and you got that high efficiency? So when the mash timer is up, did you just pulled out the bag and began the boil? Did you at least hang the bag over the pot to drain out? Do you squeeze your bag? Again, sorry for all the questions, but you have really grabbed my attention.

Really, no sparge and you got that high efficiency? So when the mash timer is up, did you just pulled out the bag and began the boil? Did you at least hang the bag over the pot to drain out? Do you squeeze your bag? Again, sorry for all the questions, but you have really grabbed my attention.

I squeezed the live chit right out of it , like I do all of them :D After squeezing is when I started the boil. No problem with the questions, after isn't that how we learn?

I squeezed the live chit right out of it , like I do all of them :D After squeezing is when I started the boil. No problem with the questions, after isn't that how we learn?
Wow, I thought squeezing was bad but you are proof that its bull****. Thanks for the feedback!

Everything I have read about squeezing to get the extra wort out has been to do it. And most all of that I read here!

I read that squeezing the bag was bad because you extract "tannins" which I have no clue what that means. I'm gonna start squeezing every bag from now on based on your feedback. Thanks!

Put together fly sparge apparatus and bought 1st false bottom. Hoping to increase efficiency from 60%. Using same grain bill..see what happens next week.

Took the TF clone and Pliny clone to HB supply shop for the brewer guy to sample, check for any off flavors/recipe issues, etc. Got great reviews, no detectable off flavors (already knew, but great to get expert point of view.) After some sampling/chatting he said the Pliny was the PTE clone was best he ever had, maybe needed to be just a bit maltier. Basically saying my AG technique, plastic fermenters in ice bath for temp control and kegging techniques are solid. So jumping to more $$$$ equipment is on hold. Just want to improve efficiency for now.

I just got back the results from a comp that I entered this brew. I got a 1st place with it and I am so stoked! :mug:

I decided to tackle this one today :ban: My current system is BIAB using the 5G paint strainer bags from Lowe's. These comfortably hold around 18lb in my experience so it made things interesting. This recipe scaled to 6G is around 28.5lb so I did two separate 75 min mashes to get it all converted. The end result was OG 1.12 onto a cake of WLP001. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Cheers :mug:
~Joe

Lastest TF clone ended at 1.040 after 2 weeks. OG at 1.110. I have no experience with stuck fermentation and I have no oxygen setup. I used 2 packets of safeale5. No off flavors but sweeettt and very heavy. Any one with experience on how to get FG down further?

There are several things you can try. Warm the fermentor. Gently swirl the fermentor to rouse the yeast. Pitch fresh yeast.

I, swirled the fermenter, maybe a bit rougher then gently. I have lock activity, if that means anything. Will check again in a few days. Thanks for responding.

If its not too late you could add some amylase enzyme but do so carefully it can dry out the beer too much. Some may warn against it but I have used it before with success

Hey all. Thanks for the recipe and inputs so far.Thought I would share my experiences with the recipe two weeks into fermentation.

I brewed up a 3.5 gallon BIAB batch with a little base malt addition to account for big beer efficiency and crystal substitution based on LHBS stock. During the course of a 90 minute mash, my temp dropped from 153.5 to 151. Boil followed as laid out in the OP. OG was 1.106.
For yeast health: starter based on Mr.Malty, 1.5tsp nutrient at 10min, 1.5min O2 at pitching, and 45s O2 at 15hrs. Fermentation took place in a 5gal corny. The temp was ramped from 68-71 over a week then held at 71 for the second week.
SG after two weeks is 1.032.

A two week sample smells like boozy raisins. The taste follows with boozy raisins and heavy charcoal/roast bitterness. There's a hint of chocolate and a hint metallic flavor too. On the tongue it there's a peppery prickly burn. Its not tasting very Fidy yet. Its kinda viscous, but not Fidy viscous. I'm excited to see how this one will age out though I don't have very high hopes at the moment. Time will tell.

I was considering doing the bulk aging on some bourbon oak cubes or just adding straight bourbon. I'm not sure how well the recipe stands up to oak but when I add a couple of mls of bourbon to a can of TenFidy its magic. Does anyone have feedback on their oak and bourbon additions?

Btw, any perceived criticism is not directed at the recipe, rather my inability as a brewer.

Thanks for sharing. I taste a faint hint of oak/bourbon/vanilla in Ten Fidy myself but so faint it could be anything. I added 4oz Makers Mark soaked in light oak chips, but could not taste in the aged beer, so I'll double next time. I just used 2pks of safale5 and fermentation stopped dead at 1.040. There must be a way to get it closer to 1.025, my goal anyway. The roastiness will subside in the next few weeks Sounds like you have a great batch of beer coming your way. Nice job

Page 1 recipe modified for my lower efficiency...and used safeale4, and Goldings at 10min..

1st attempt stalled at 1.040. I xfered from bucket to bucket 3x to oxygenate wort before pitching 04. I use a 7.9gal bucket, but only 5.5gal of wort. Had to clean bubbler this morning. Krausen must be crazy in there.
Right now, fermentation temp is 61f. Will probably raise to 64 tomorrow. That would be day 3.

Came down a bit. 9.9% now. Couldn't stop sampling last night. Xfer to secondary, but don't think it'll make 3 months conditioning.

Back