Temps after primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppin_Mad

Reaction score
I have a good system for keeping my batches around 68F during primary fermentation, but it is really impractical to keep this up for 3-4 weeks. I live in TX and in life before brewing I usually will let my apartment stay around 78 during the summer. Is this high an ambient temperature going to have negative effects on beer which is done with primary fermentation but is still sitting around for a couple weeks clarifying before bottling?

If so, what is a general rule of thumb for a safe temperature for most brews at this time?

thanks!

Temps are only crucial during the most active part of fermentation, the first few days, which if you have a typical 72 hour lagtime with the yeast would make it about the first week. I usually keep swapping out ice bottles in my swamp cooler for the first week, then just let the water bath keep the temps at whatever a couple degrees below ambient is.

Back