Temps after primary fermentation

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Hoppin_Mad

Reaction score
I have a good system for keeping my batches around 68F during primary fermentation, but it is really impractical to keep this up for 3-4 weeks. I live in TX and in life before brewing I usually will let my apartment stay around 78 during the summer. Is this high an ambient temperature going to have negative effects on beer which is done with primary fermentation but is still sitting around for a couple weeks clarifying before bottling?

If so, what is a general rule of thumb for a safe temperature for most brews at this time?

thanks!

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Temps are only crucial during the most active part of fermentation, the first few days, which if you have a typical 72 hour lagtime with the yeast would make it about the first week. I usually keep swapping out ice bottles in my swamp cooler for the first week, then just let the water bath keep the temps at whatever a couple degrees below ambient is.

Ziggybrew

Reaction score
A used fridge or freezer with a Johnson temp controller makes a big difference. Tax refund splurge?

OP
Hoppin_Mad

Hoppin_Mad

Reaction score
A used fridge or freezer with a Johnson temp controller makes a big difference. Tax refund splurge?
That would be ideal someday, but I am in a one bedroom apartment right now with SWMBO to consider!