Temperature went above 104

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am brewing my first NEIPA and trying to keep the brew warm during fermentation. I used an Omega OYL-200 Liquid yeast. To keep the temperature between 75-85 I put a small space heater in a closet with the conical and wasn't thinking. With the stainless steel, even with a setting on the space heater of 76, it really heated it all up. I just checked and the temp right now is 104. Im trying to bring the temp down, but I am wondering if anyone has any perspective on whether I just botched up the whole batch? I am not sure how long its been at that temp, im going to guess 2-3 days.

Not familiar with that yeast. If it's some kind of kveik, might not be too bad. I think most yeasts will survive to that temp, but you'll get a lot of off flavors and fusels. All you can really do now is let it ride and tell us how it tastes. At those temps for that long, it's probably finished fermenting anyway. On the bright side, you found a way not to do it. Hopefully someone who knows that stain can be of more help.

I just read the description. "Thrives at high temperatures." Maybe there's reason to hope.

A lager yeast would have been killed outright. An ale yeast is getting very close to that point.
Just check gravity and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Since it's sacc and no kveik, if you fermented that high during initial and peak phases of fermentation, it's pretty likely you've developed some off flavors. Now, what might be an off flavor to some, might not be to you, so if you like it, then you're good to go (you know, that whole "what's a weed?" discussion). More than likely, though, it's developed a harsh, fusel alcohol burn sensation.

I'm curious too. Please don't leave us hanging OP. I'm rooting for you.

Latest posts

Back