Temperature monitoring. No control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaymzMF

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but....
Does anyone make a temp monitoring system? I’d like to just be able to plug in a 12v dc led display hooked up to a temp probe or up to 4 or 6 temp probes. I just want to see temperatures in my HLT, my MLT and perhaps even exits and entrances of wort during recirculating. Doesn’t need to control anything but just show a real time temp display. Seems simple enough but I can’t find anything.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076QDC5VL/?tag=homebrewtalk_skimlinks_replacement-20

Ive seen people have these set up on there rigs. I was going to go with one but decided to wait it out until I get my brew panel put together. I believe you can get compression fittings that allow you to have these for inline readings or stick inside a mt or bk.

There looks to be many other different brands and price points on amazon if you search a little. Just look for bbq thermometers.

Last edited:
Thank you. That’s an interesting option. Still surprised what I’m envisioning doesn’t exist. I guess that means no one wants what I’m envisioning. I think it could be a cheap to make item if one has the know how.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076QDC5VL/?tag=homebrewtalk_skimlinks_replacement-20

Ive seen people have these set up on there rigs. I was going to go with one but decided to wait it out until I get my brew panel put together. I believe you can get compression fittings that allow you to have these for inline readings or stick inside a mt or bk.

There looks to be many other different brands and price points on amazon if you search a little. Just look for bbq thermometers.
I actually have that exact thermometer, it works great. I use it for smoking/grilling though, not brewing.

A raspberry pi board is $30 and DS18B20 sensors are $1.50 each. You can monitor half a dozen temps with your cell phone over your LAN for $50 and the time it takes to flash an SD card.

Thank you. That’s an interesting option. Still surprised what I’m envisioning doesn’t exist. I guess that means no one wants what I’m envisioning. I think it could be a cheap to make item if one has the know how.
The reason is its not very popular is its a lot of work and expense to go through vs thermometers with no real practical gain. Most that do are doing it end up ultimately going for a temp control setup and most that dont want all the "gizmos and complication" that come with temp control, end up falling in the analog thermometer propane crowd..

you can find digital temp probe readout displays for and even with probes very cheap on ebay. I used one on a panel build once.

Thanks a lot you guys. I’ll start looking. You’ve been a big help. Much appreciated.

You can build a BrewPiLess unit for real cheap and use it just for monitoring tempt. Plus you get the added feature of remote monitoring.

Back