Temperature monitor alarm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finished1

Reaction score
I recently had a thermostat go out on me and had my keg of beer freeze over. I am changing the thermostat as soon as it comes in today but wanted to know if anyone has used a temperature monitor alarm? I am looking for one that is Wi-Fi capable and will send me an alert if the temp drops to low or goes to high via my cell or email. Anyone have any suggestions?

The Inkbird 308 I use has built-in high and low alarms.
My understanding is that normal it's the relay that breaks, so the probe and alarm will still function.

I would use "typical", as "normal" just seems wrong ;)
But, yes, if the relay points stick the temperature alarm should still function...

Cheers!

Then you're screwed.
If you don't immerse them, probes can have a long reliable life.
Some of the probes in my three ferm chambers and keezer are 8 years in service. None of them are immersed.

Adding a separate monitor device for ease of mind might be worth it, while understanding the monitor itself could fail...

Cheers!

Then you're screwed.
If you don't immerse them, probes can have a long reliable life.
Some of the probes in my three ferm chambers and keezer are 8 years in service. None of them are immersed...

Cheers!
The question really was, if the probe fails, what is the response of the controller? Does it detect a lack of communication with the probe and shut down? Does it just act as if it's still receiving the last live input? Do we know what our particular unit's failure mode is? This might make an argument for an independent alarm.

I wonder because I have heard some say they've had probe failures on the 308s. My experience with the 308 is yeoman's service for a long time, but I suppose there may have been issues with an earlier production run. Also some may be shorting out if damaged by crimping the cable in the gasket of a fridge door, and earlier 308s didn't have a replaceable probe and cable.

Not sure. If I unplug the probe it starts alarming.
Well that sounds like a perfect fail safe. Good to know, thanks! (Embarrassed I didn't ever try that little experiment myself. Also must admit that, overconfident, I think I have left my high and low alarm values set to "surface of Venus" and "surface of Pluto.")

That seems to be the case with all of them. I think it has to do with the higher power requirements of a WiFi connection compared to Bluetooth that would make powering the device with batteries impractical. Unfortunately most fridges don't have an internal power outlet, so the gateway has to go outside in a separate device. :(

Back