Temperature for secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryank020

Reaction score
Brewed my first batch about a week and a half ago which is a Pale Ale. I let it sit in the primary bucket until the FG was consistent over a couple of days and then racked it to my secondary. My question is, since the fermentation is complete, is it ok to store the beer in the secondary in a cooler place? I have it in my apartment to so it is a consistent 70 degrees, but I have a basement I could keep it in that is around 50 to 55. My main concern is if I store it in place that cool, the yeast will die off and not have any left for bottle conditioning. I'm using US05 yeast if this helps.

Thanks

The yeast won't die in the cooler basement but they will become dormant. The purposes of the secondary are to clean up the "off flavors" that are created in the primary and then drop the yeast out of suspension to give you clear beer. I'd suggest you leave the secondary at room temperature for another week at least and then move to the cooler basement to drop out as much yeast as you can.

i dont think they will die off but the yeast may go dormant. from what i have read cold conditioning may take a little longer than warmer conditioning. on the other hand, alot of folk cold crash the brew before kegging or bottleing and say there will still be plenty of yeast for carbonation. so that said, it will probably get clear faster which is what you want for the secondary ferm. though, for cold crashing you want to get the beer as cold as possible without freezing. i hope this info will help you a bit without being too comfusing!

Brewed my first batch about a week and a half ago which is a Pale Ale. I let it sit in the primary bucket until the FG was consistent over a couple of days and then racked it to my secondary. My question is, since the fermentation is complete, is it ok to store the beer in the secondary in a cooler place? I have it in my apartment to so it is a consistent 70 degrees, but I have a basement I could keep it in that is around 50 to 55. My main concern is if I store it in place that cool, the yeast will die off and not have any left for bottle conditioning. I'm using US05 yeast if this helps.

Thanks

That's a good temp for conditioning and your yeast won't die. They may fall asleep, but should get back to work when you warm them up for packaging. If you're going to age them for a very long time (6mo plus) you may want to add back yeast before bottling. That would be the case even if it were warmer, though.

Latest posts

Back