Temperature for carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albion85

Reaction score
Hey,

I was just wondering at what temperature is too cold for the yeast to carbonate properly? I'm carbonating a polypin to try and emulate a cask, and i've read that I should condition at 55f. Would the yeast still be able to ferment the priming sugar at this temperature? I was wondering if there was a handy chart or something detailed at what point the yeast falls asleep.

It's way more complex than a chart.

The temperature would be dependent on Yeast Strain, ABV of beer, previous stress on yeast (viability), cell counts, floculation characteristic of the strain....

Yeast also just don't fall asleep and stop fermenting... they will do it more slowly at a lower temperature.

Conditioning at 55F sounds fine to me... but I'd try to do the "carbonation" bit a little faster at the beginning before dropping the temp. Because lowering the temperature will discourage fermentation. Plus have a beer warmer right after fermentation will encourage the yeast to clean up any fermentation byproducts.

Back