Temperature Controllers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chugmaster

Reaction score
I am still not completely clear what a PID is, and am wondering if these Chinese temperature controllers are essentially PIDs?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/110V-10A-Min...ultDomain_0&hash=item3f1d826afd#ht_1110wt_956

If this is not a PID, does this essentially do the same thing as a PID?

I currently use these controllers to lager in freezers. If I were to attach a 1/4" threaded probe, could I incorporate this into my control panel?

Thanks.

I use STC-1000's also. They are not PID's since there is no logic to make adjustments based on undershoots and overshoots, they just turn on or turn off at their set point. I use mine to control my RIMs element by attaching the probe directly to my RIMs return line in the MLT. It's water proof so I don't use a thermowell. The probe end is a little too big for a 1/4" well.

Can someone explain how they're getting the probes inside either the chambers or brew system lines? Can you do it with the default probe somehow?

Can someone explain how they're getting the probes inside either the chambers or brew system lines? Can you do it with the default probe somehow?
Please explain what you are trying to accomplish.

If you are trying to provide control over a brew process, this matters a lot up front.

The controller you chose and the temperature probe matters a huge amount in risk of your results.

(Just my very humble opinion)

P-J

Edit: Oh well.. I spouted off & am done - So sorry...

Mine is very low tech. I have a silicone line that attaches to an elbow that goes through the lid of my MLT (Cooler). Inside the MLT I use LokLine. I just put the STC probe in the end of the Lokline nozzle and hold it there with a paperclip :)

Please explain what you are trying to accomplish.

If you are trying to provide control over a brew process, this matters a lot up front.

The controller you chose and the temperature probe matters a huge amount in risk of your results.

(Just my very humble opinion)

P-J

Edit: Oh well.. I spouted off & am done - So sorry...

Well right now I am simply taping these probes to the sides of carboys to control the temperature inside of a chest freezer in order to lager.

What I'd like to do is use these controllers for:

1. Use in a HERMS system in order to start the pump to recirculate and maintain temp in my mash tun.
2. Use in my electric HLT tank to maintain temperature
3. Use in a plastic conical in order to activate a pump to circulate coolant through an immersion chiller.

Back