Temperature Concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darwin18

Reaction score
Well heres the deal:

On Saturday I brewed up on a Belgian wit. When I left Sunday afternoon it was bubbling away vigorously. I'm four hours away for most of this week for work and I'm concerned about the effect the temperature will have on this beer. Yesterday was 80 degrees and today is suppossed to be the same.

Will this have a significant impact on the taste of my beer? I won't be able to do anything about it until Thursday or Friday. Will that be too late?

At 80F ambient temp that beer will be fermented in about 48hrs with a fermentation temp probably in the 90s.Just ride it out too late now to worry about it.It's gonna be estery and will possibly split your skull when you drink it.On the upside,I let one get out of hand and it ended up pretty good after a while in the bottle.The skull splitting ceased after about 8weeks in the bottle.
For future brews maybe put the fermenter in a tub of water w/ some frozen 2liter water bottles to keep the temps. down.The water will help keep the temp regulated.It will help the temp maintain an average of the temp swing from day to night.

I'd REALLY doubt that the fermentation temperature is 10 degrees over ambient... Are you fermenting this indoors? If so, does that impact your fermentation temperature? I'd think that anything in the 75F range would be fine. As it gets warmer, I'd expect less clove and more banana. What yeast strain did you use?

Build done... I am ready for hurricane season and no A/C!

IMG_9712 (Large).jpg

I'd REALLY doubt that the fermentation temperature is 10 degrees over ambient... Are you fermenting this indoors? If so, does that impact your fermentation temperature? I'd think that anything in the 75F range would be fine. As it gets warmer, I'd expect less clove and more banana. What yeast strain did you use?
Reason I stated that was that wits seem to go ape$hit once the yeast takes off.When I did mine at 75F ambient,I have never witnessed a bubbler going so fast.It looked like a sewing machine and the fermenter was hot to the touch.It fermented completely in 24hrs.Even so ,it turned into a good beer after aging.This was w/s-33 yeast.

Reason I stated that was that wits seem to go ape$hit once the yeast takes off.When I did mine at 75F ambient,I have never witnessed a bubbler going so fast.It looked like a sewing machine and the fermenter was hot to the touch.It fermented completely in 24hrs.Even so ,it turned into a good beer after aging.This was w/s-33 yeast.

I've observed my carboy thermometer during many fermentations. When I cover the carboy with a blanket the temperature rises 5-10 degrees. When I leave it alone simply in a dark room the temperature stays the same as the room.

Back