Temperature and primary fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpipes68

Reaction score
I'm doing a Fat Tire clone this weekend. The instructions say to cool the wort to 110 degrees and transfer to the primary fermentor and then take it down to 75 degrees. I'm using a glass carboy as a primary and it takes a lot longer to cool the wort in the glass fermenter as it would in my brew kettle. I have always cooled, as fast as I can, in my brew kettle. Is this step necessary?

Happy brewing and have a great weekend.

Definitely not! Cool to pitching temperature if possible, then transfer to the fermenter. If you can't get to pitching temperature (my ground water is above 80F here) get it as cool as possible, transfer, then cool to pitching temperature before adding the yeast. I look up the optimum range for each yeast and go for the mid point or a degree or so below.

I would also avoid the 110 degrees in a glass carboy, the less thermal shock the better.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/broken-glass-carboy-horror-stories-compendium.376523/

Definitely not! Cool to pitching temperature if possible, then transfer to the fermenter. If you can't get to pitching temperature (my ground water is above 80F here) get it as cool as possible, transfer, then cool to pitching temperature before adding the yeast. I look up the optimum range for each yeast and go for the mid point or a degree or so below.

I would also avoid the 110 degrees in a glass carboy, the less thermal shock the better.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/broken-glass-carboy-horror-stories-compendium.376523/
Wow, that's nasty. Cant unsee that. I'm sticking with cooling in my brew kettle.

I've never cooled in the fermenter, always in my pot. Our groundwater is from a well and can get it down to 68 pretty quickly

I always cool in the kettle to pitching temps (immersion chiller with ice water), transfer, oxygenate, pitch. Do whatever is easiest for you. The instructions in those kits doesn’t suit everyone’s setup. I would never put hot wort in glass, but I’ve washed glass carboys with hot tap water ~120F without issues.

Back