Temp probe in an SS Brewtech Chronical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgalak

Reaction score
I'm planning on getting an SS Brewtech Chronical (probably 7 gallons) Brewmaster edition, and using a non-FTSS temp controller to control temps.

For anyone who's done this, how did you install the temp probe in the fermenter? Using their thermowell and dumping the digital thermometer? Weld-less fitting through the side? If so, where and how long?

I'd like to use either a PT100 RTD type sensor or a 1-wire sensor.

Advice appreciated.

Do not insert a probe into the fermenter. Attaching your probe to the exterior of the fermenter with a pad of insulation over it, will provide reasonably accurate indication of the internal temperature.

Do not insert a probe into the fermenter. Attaching your probe to the exterior of the fermenter with a pad of insulation over it, will provide reasonably accurate indication of the internal temperature.

Why not inside? Wouldn't that give. More accurate reading?

As long as your temp probe's diameter fits in the thermowell you can just ditch their digital readout. It pops right off.

Sure, an Inkbird 308 probe slides right in an FTSs thermowell and I use them all the time. Don't use the FTSs supplied thermometer if you want to use an ATC other than FTSs. Some other ATC's beside Inkbird may have larger diameter probes so YMMV.

I have also installed FTSs thermowell's on my non-BM BrewTech buckets and it works like a charm.

Why not inside? Wouldn't that give. More accurate reading?

Most would think so, but the circulation of wort and its heat within the fermenter do a good job of homogenizing the temperature in the fermenter. By placing a sensor on the surface of the fermenter and covering it with an insulator, that sensor comes very close to the actual temp in the wort. There are several tests of this, but I can't cite one at the moment.

Sure, an Inkbird 308 probe slides right in an FTSs thermowell and I use them all the time. Don't use the FTSs supplied thermometer if you want to use an ATC other than FTSs. Some other ATC's beside Inkbird may have larger diameter probes so YMMV.

I have also installed FTSs thermowell's on my non-BM BrewTech buckets and it works like a charm.

Is the thermowell used for the FTSs sensor the same as that used for the little digital thermomenter? (not the sensor itself, the thermowell is what I'm asking about).

From personal testing on my first try with a sour wort, maintaining wort temp at ~105°F for 24 hrs+, temp differences between an immersed thermometer and an external probe attached to the pot and covered with a piece of insulation material was less than 0.5°F for the small volumes that we deal with.

But, their brewmaster edition has a thermowell, just jam the probe in there. The digital thermometer they give you does just that anyway.

Is the thermowell used for the FTSs sensor the same as that used for the little digital thermomenter? (not the sensor itself, the thermowell is what I'm asking about).

Yes, you'll install their thermowell, just don't use their digital thermometer. Your temp sensor probe from your ATC will go in there. Their digital thermometer has a short probe so that would go into the thermowell unless you use your own.

Latest posts

Back