temp for graff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saburke17

Reaction score
hey guys i just made my 1st batch of graff and was wondering if 80 degree's is too warm. it started bubbling within 6-8 hours and is on 26 hours and still constant. i just put it into a swamp cooler and the water temp is about 68 degrees so im hoping this will bring the graff temp down some. i live in fl and im keeping it inside my kitchen which is the coolest place in the house.
what do you think?

Sean

My first batch of graff is also still in the primary. I'd say 68-70F sounds about right for the first week or so it was in there. Then we had to go out of town, so I put it in the basement, where it was more like 65F for the past week. I plan to wait another week and go straight to the bottle if it looks good, no secondary. So far, everything looks good, though.

hey guys i just made my 1st batch of graff and was wondering if 80 degree's is too warm. it started bubbling within 6-8 hours and is on 26 hours and still constant. i just put it into a swamp cooler and the water temp is about 68 degrees so im hoping this will bring the graff temp down some. i live in fl and im keeping it inside my kitchen which is the coolest place in the house.
what do you think?

Sean

My batch with safale 05 stopped visible fermentation once it hit 80 degrees. I found a cooler spot for it and now its started back fermenting (visibly) at around 72.

I am new to brewing and I live in a small apartment in New York that gets fairly hot. I have some graff brewing in my small dark closet. How does the temperature affect fermentation?

After I pitched my yeast last Thursday I had very vigorous fermentation for around 4 days and now it has died down to a slow bubbling.

It ferments best right around 68 degrees, atleast this is what I find. Hotter ferm temps will produce a hotter alcohol flavor. 80 degrees is not what you want preferably, but i'm sure it will be fine.

Consistent cool temps produces a very smooth flavor profile with flavors transitioning gently to one another as they run through the full flavor profile. I find hotter ferm temps will produce choppy flavor transitions and hard notes.

but for the average drinker not analyzing every sip, you probably won't noticed a big deal.

age always helps too, when in doubt.

i was able to cool it down in a larger bucket of water. it stayed at 80 for 26 hours and was bubbling like crazy, its now down to 72 ish and is bubbling somewhat steady. im out of town and will check back on saturday

i was able to cool it down in a larger bucket of water. it stayed at 80 for 26 hours and was bubbling like crazy, its now down to 72 ish and is bubbling somewhat steady. im out of town and will check back on saturday

I'm sure you are fine and it will turn out great.

Be sure and post back what you think!

What will happen if it fermented too warm? Think mine is around 80 degrees but is bubbling a lot...

hey brandon what does the 60L do for the cider? when i bought mine from the homebrew place i wasnt paying attention and forgot if she gave a pound or half pound as it was sold is bulk. i think she gave me a pound so i put half of it the steep bag which was roughly a cup and 1/2. does that sound right. what would happen if there was only 1/2 of the 60l.

Sean

What will happen if it fermented too warm? Think mine is around 80 degrees but is bubbling a lot...

makes it not taste that great compared to fermenting at 68 degrees.

The flavor profile will be hot, with choppy transitions and maybe some funky notes. Basically, the same thing that happens when you ferment beer to hot.

hey brandon what does the 60L do for the cider? when i bought mine from the homebrew place i wasnt paying attention and forgot if she gave a pound or half pound as it was sold is bulk. i think she gave me a pound so i put half of it the steep bag which was roughly a cup and 1/2. does that sound right. what would happen if there was only 1/2 of the 60l.

Sean

The crystal grains tone down tart while also creating a faint sweetness in the finish.

You will be fine, but I have done 1lb before and that was good too.

just checked sg on my 1st graff batch. it started around 1.058 and after 8 days its down to 1.012. its cloudy and when i tasted it it was definatley tart a little like grapefruit juice with a little kick. hopefully this will mellow out. the foam was about 2-3 inches thick a day after putting the yeast in and now theres none??
Of course after reading the 1st post i saw the little side note about when using store aj and it said use 120L :( i used pasturized NOT from concentrate juice from walmart. well i guess well just have to wait and see. any thoughts

I did 5 gallons of the Graff, hate the name by the way, and it didn't take long to finish it off. It tastes a lot like a apple beer, lots of apple flavor. I used the crystal 60L, but I think I will try the Crystal 120L to see the difference. I used a Wyeast smack pack, 3068 Wheat Yeast. Next time it will be the Sweet Mead Yeast.

Back