Temp dropped down and fermentation stopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loafer74

Reaction score
Ok we had a family emergency and the temp on my brew dropped below 65 degrees and the air lock is at a dead stand still. If I put the brew in a warm water bath to bring it up to 70 degrees will fermentation start again?

How long has it been in the fermenter? Take a gravity reading and see where you're at. If you do have a stuck fermentation, just warm it back up and gently rock the fermenter to get the yeast back into the wort.

I put it in the Fermenter on Wednesday and we left the house Thursday Morning it was working

Scimmia said:
How long has it been in the fermenter? Take a gravity reading and see where you're at. If you do have a stuck fermentation, just warm it back up and gently rock the fermenter to get the yeast back into the wort.

I agree. If you didn't get too low in temp it is probably just done fermenting. Check the gravity.

I would say the temp didnt get below 62 to 64 degrees

Matt Foley said:
I agree. If you didn't get too low in temp it is probably just done fermenting. Check the gravity.

Well the bad news , I dont have a hydrometer , I got one on order but the guy at the home brew shop was out and Im a Nub to all of this , Ive ruined 2 batches already because of poor yeast and temps , dont want to ruin a 3rd

IowaStateFan said:
It's probably done (or nearly so). Take a gravity reading. If it's not done warm it up and gently swirl the fermenter to rouse the yeast.

get it into the upper 60's and wait for your hydrometer to show up before you mess around with anything, especially racking.

i've had more than one 'silent fermentation' result in great beer (hardly any airlock activity, or activity for only 20 hours).

Ive ruined 2 batches already because of poor yeast and temps , dont want to ruin a 3rd

A word of advice. Don't assume a batch is ruined because it didn't go as planned. I've done some pretty stupid things with my brewing & have yet to meet an "undrinkable" beer. It aint over 'til it's over!!!!

RDWHAHB:mug:

Back