Temp controller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shibbypwn

Reaction score
Right now I'm in the market for a fridge and temp controller- will a temp controller work with just about any fridge? Or is there a specific kind of fridge that I need to be looking for?

Aside from obviously being large enough to house a carboy, are there any other important features I should be looking out for?

It's just an on and off switch, it will work with anything that heats and cools.

_

all the temp controllers ive seen are about the same. they plug into the wall and the fridge plugs into them. then the temperature sensor goes inside the fridge ... so just so long as you buy a plug in fridge you should be good .... one thing to look for is the amperage/voltage tolerances of the temp controller. you don't want to over load it. also you may need to modify the fridge so you can get the temp sensor in there and shut the door properly.

I'd recommend finding a freezer if you can. They are just as good at fermenting ales, and better at fermenting Lagers.

I wish I'd spent extra on a DUAL STAGE controller, because the temps here are very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. In between it can be just the wrong temperature at some point in the day or week.

Back