Temp Controller froze my beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

509inc

Reaction score
Somehow setting my temp controller to 40F with a differential of 4 froze 15 gals of beer at 29F. Not sure how that happens but I blame Johnson Controls.

This never happens in my lagering fridge set to 35F with a diff of 4 using a Ranco.

In the exact middle (height, distance from sides). Has been there for a year with no issues other than I find the freezer using the Johnson Controls will cool ~10F cooler that the set point.

The lager freezer right next to it uses a Ranco and is set lower and never freezes anything.

Johnson:
SP - 40F
Actual - 29F

Ranco:
SP - 35F
Actual - 35F

The freezers are in my kitchen a foot apart.

I recommend that you tape the probe to the fermenter so that it reads the temp of the fermenter and not the ambient air temp.

The probe is already touching the side of the keg. A bad controller is all I can think of because in 6 years I have never froze a keg or a carboy.

Unless someone knows of a secret setting to get the controller to shut off at the set point like it is supposed to.

Latest posts

Back