Temp controller for the fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseM

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I brewed a few days ago, not without problems, but can't wait to see how the final product tastes like. Had almost 60 hours lag time, but just now I see some activity, so it's a relief! :p

Anyway! I'm doing small batches, so they fit in my small fridge. I checked my fridge, and the warmest it can get is around 47. It's okay, but I'd love to get it around 50 for lagers. And even higher to brew ales as well, I'd like to have more control over the temperature.

I did some Googling and placed an order:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LED...stat-with-Socket-AC-90V-250V/32587079168.html

In features, it says "Cooling and heating control", I was thinking to have a small glass of water in the fridge and put the probe there. Then set the desired temperature, so when things are good it doesn't give power to the fridge, and when it's too warm, fridge goes active again.

Now, I haven't looked up how you guys are doing your temp controls, but what are your thoughts on this? It should work, right? :)

Thanks!

Jesse

If you're using it for fermentation control then you should tape it directly to the fermenter and cover with some insulation (bubble wrap, styrofoam, etc. Fermentation will generate heat so you want to measure actual beer temp not ambient. If you are using it as a kegerator then the glass of water should be okay. You can also use a thermowell that sits in the center of the beer that you can put the temp probe down. I've measured the temp difference on a better bottle before between thermowell and taping to the side and the difference I saw was only a degree or so.

If you're using it for fermentation control then you should tape it directly to the fermenter and cover with some insulation (bubble wrap, styrofoam, etc. Fermentation will generate heat so you want to measure actual beer temp not ambient. If you are using it as a kegerator then the glass of water should be okay. You can also use a thermowell that sits in the center of the beer that you can put the temp probe down. I've measured the temp difference on a better bottle before between thermowell and taping to the side and the difference I saw was only a degree or so.

I'm trying to figure how the "cooling and heating" work with that thing. Hopefully, it has both as stated!

Anyway, I've tried measuring wort temperature from the side of my fermenter, but it didn't give accurate numbers. Once this arrives, I will try and see if it works like that, if not, I'm happy to see the ambient temperature. I can always set it a little bit lower depending on the beer I'm making. To my understanding, big beers mean more heat. I might be wrong, though! :)

Anyway, I've tried measuring wort temperature from the side of my fermenter, but it didn't give accurate numbers.

How did you determine this, were you comparing to a thermowell? All I can tell you is my experience with them being very close, but at the very least taping to the side with insulation should be closer than ambient. Folks have reported like 10 degree difference between beer temp and ambient during active fermentation, up to you though how you want to do it.

How did you determine this, were you comparing to a thermowell? All I can tell you is my experience with them being very close, but at the very least taping to the side with insulation should be closer than ambient. Folks have reported like 10 degree difference between beer temp and ambient during active fermentation, up to you though how you want to do it.

Well, I did this test using water, I had two thermometers, one measuring from the side and other the water itself. I did add some insulation but it was still pretty far off. However, I'll try that again once I receive the order (probably will take around a month). If it doesn't work, I will look Inkbird 308 as @PADave suggested. :)

When you test make sure your thermometers and probe are calibrated, then give them time to equilibrate. I use a thermapen on brew day and it measures temp really quick, but the controller probe always takes a few minutes to reach temp when I first set it up.

Well, I did this test using water, I had two thermometers, one measuring from the side and other the water itself. I did add some insulation but it was still pretty far off. However, I'll try that again once I receive the order (probably will take around a month). If it doesn't work, I will look Inkbird 308 as @PADave suggested. :)
Have you ever heard the saying, "If you have a watch, you know what time it is. If you have two watches, you are never quite sure." ?

The same apllies to any measuring instrument. As Chickypad says, you have to calibrate.

The water test is good as far as it goes, but keep in mind that fermenting yeast are generating heat, so the center of the fermenter is naturally the best place for a temp probe.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Have you ever heard the saying, "If you have a watch, you know what time it is. If you have two watches, you are never quite sure." ?

The same apllies to any measuring instrument. As Chickypad says, you have to calibrate.

The water test is good as far as it goes, but keep in mind that fermenting yeast are generating heat, so the center of the fermenter is naturally the best place for a temp probe.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I did measure the water temp with both my thermometers and both were identical. So I knew the real water temp, and the temperature from the side was off. :)

Anyway, from my little experience, it seems the colder the fermentation temp is, the less "active" or "aggressive" is the fermentation = less heat. So if I always have the ambient temp in the lower end of yeast temp range, I can expect fermentation to warm up only a little bit - still being in a good range for fermentation. I'm not looking to have a _perfect_ temperature, just good enough for different beer styles. :)

Thank you for the replies btw! :)

I ferment in two corny kegs and put the probe in between them. Sometimes I tape it to one and sometimes I just sandwhich in between them. I use a chest freezer for cooling and a rubber belt for heating(I forgot the name of it) I had a Johnson single stage controller which is great for lager temps but I was having a problem with ales. By the time I switched from cooling to heating, it was too late, and I wasn’t getting good attenuation. I switched it earlier on my last batch and it was ok, but I just got an inkbird 2 stage controller so I think that will help my ales.

Last edited:
I ferment in two corny kegs and put the probe in between them. Sometimes I tape it to one and sometimes I just sandwhich in between them. I use a chest freezer for cooling and a rubber belt for heating(I forgot the name of it) I had a Johnson single stage controller which is great for lager temps but I was having a problem with ales. By the time I switched from cooling to heating, it was too late, and I wasn’t getting good attenuation. I switched it earlier on my last batch and it was ok, but I just got an inkbird 2 stage controller so I think that will help my ales.

Thank you for sharing! I kinda feel I should've gone with inkbird as well, you never know what you get when you order from China. Though it still could be good, and it was quite affordable so if it doesn't work it's not big deal in the end. :)

I have a couple of Inkbird ITC-308 controllers and so far so good. I also have a couple of heater only versions as well because I have several carboys in one chest freezer. So I'd say you can't go wrong with those. Been running steady for a month now.

Hey guys,

Today I received the order: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LED...stat-with-Socket-AC-90V-250V/32587079168.html

I gave it a quick test, and I can confirm it has both cooling and warming function, I mean it gives power depending on which setting you choose. The display is crisp and clear, and the measurement seems quite accurate: within 0,5 Celsius.

I have yet to use this in _real_ action, but with a quick test, I'm super satisfied with this product. Should work just fine. :)

If anything comes up with this device: it shuts down or breaks or anything, I'll post here, so you know! But so far looking good!

Back