• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Kansas Temp Controller, Flashed w/ STC-1000+, Fahrenheit Display

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the unit operate heat and cooling simultaneously or is there a switch to choose one or the other? Also, how does the probe hold up in liquid? (Beer)

Yes, the controller is dual stage (operates both heating & cooling simultaneously).

You don't want to put the sensor directly into your wort (on any temp controller, not just this one). You need to use a thermowell if you want to immerse the sensor, but I find that simply taping the sensor to the outside of the fermenter works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sold out? Get building more!

Sold out? Get building more!

Haha, yes sir! :)

Ordered parts for another batch this morning, will try to get around to building them up ASAP! I did add a link to the website for folks to log their email address if interested in getting one from the next batch; I'll email that list as soon as I have more ready.

Thanks guys!

I'm on that email list. Looking forward to giving you my money!

tracking says arrival is Saturday! I better get that old fridge/new ferm chamber cleaned up and ready to go! thanks again!

Will,

Any chance you would be interested in just programming supplied units, or doing a 'swap'?

I have 5 of them, although I don't know if they are the proper ones. Mine are all mounted in a case, so checking is a very lengthy process!

Any idea if some of the ones not labeled STC1000 are actually the same inside? I vaguely recall at least 1 of mine is labeled differently but identical otherwise. I got them from 2 different sources.

John

Will,

Any chance you would be interested in just programming supplied units, or doing a 'swap'?

I have 5 of them, although I don't know if they are the proper ones. Mine are all mounted in a case, so checking is a very lengthy process!

Any idea if some of the ones not labeled STC1000 are actually the same inside? I vaguely recall at least 1 of mine is labeled differently but identical otherwise. I got them from 2 different sources.

John

Hi John, it'd probably be easier to just pickup an Arduino Uno (available for < $25) and flash the controllers you have. I put a video up on the website ('DIY' page) showing how to do it.

As far as the labeling, there's been a lot of discussion around this on the STC-1000+ thread, but we can't find a consistent way to identify the version without cracking the controller open and looking at the board. It seems there are several manufacturers in china cranking out similar looking controllers using different combinations of boards, decals, model numbers, branding, etc.

I'm on that email list. Looking forward to giving you my money!

Well, you'll be doin' more than that. Will just informed me that he made a $50 donation to St Jude's children hospital in my name, taken from the proceeds from the units sold so far, as a thanks for the firmware. And as I understand it, he will continue to do so, for the units he sells. This is not something he has to do.
If anyone knows Will in person, please shake his hand from me.
Just thought you all should know 'what kind of guy you are dealing with' here :)

Now that's a helluva guy.
Mine came yesterday, well packed, and it even had a power cord, which the original STC-1000 doesn't come with. (nice re-purpose of the many computer power cords that we all ended up with over the years....lol). The unit looks incredibly well finished, very professional. Can't wait to get it rocking on my next ferment! :D
I think he's done your firmware proud, AO. I know if/when I need another one, I'll definitely be sending my money his way. THIS is how business is to be done.....paying attention all you money grubbing, giant corporations out there???:rolleyes:
Thanks again Will!

Whoa, wow, thanks guys!

Alpha, as usual, is being modest. I offered him a "royalty" on the firmware and he suggested donating to charity. The guy is truly altruistic; he develops firmware and gives it away for free, and when he's offered profit from it he passes it to charity. Standup guy! Either way, it's pretty cool that a good cause is benefiting from our hobby/addiction. :)

And beernbourbon, glad you like the controller!

I love this.
Saving me the hassle of having to build one for about the cost it would take to build one.
Thanks to everyone involved.

Do you have to manually switch it from heat to cool or will it do it automatically when both plugs are being utilized?

Hi John, it'd probably be easier to just pickup an Arduino Uno (available for < $25) and flash the controllers you have. I put a video up on the website ('DIY' page) showing how to do it.

As far as the labeling, there's been a lot of discussion around this on the STC-1000+ thread, but we can't find a consistent way to identify the version without cracking the controller open and looking at the board. It seems there are several manufacturers in china cranking out similar looking controllers using different combinations of boards, decals, model numbers, branding, etc.

Turns out they are easy to check, even if mounted, now that I see how to open them up. Looks like I'm out of luck, mine are all v1.1 boards. Oh well.

Received mine on Thursday... getting the new freezer hooked up with it tomorrow....

Then I'll have to brew!

Thanks!

Got mine and it is great and quality assembly!

Me too. And I couldn't agree more! I was bummed after ordering an STC and getting the wrong version. Bummed no more. This is a fantastic build.

Glad you guys are happy with it!

Happy brewing!

I keep getting an error when I try and sign up for updates when product will be back in stock.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I keep getting an error when I try and sign up for updates when product will be back in stock.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Huh, not sure, I just tested it and seems to be working. If you're still getting an error just PM me your email address and I'll manually add you to the list. Thanks!

got mine saturday and hooked it up, been running and working like a champ...brewing this friday and will be very excited to have precise fermentation temps!

Picked up a small chest freezer for free that "worked last year" so I hope with some testing I can get it to work this week, get it up and running and brew a blonde for a club comp this weekend. I am also adding O2 so between the two I am expecting much better final products :)

Got mine today. Glad you took care to package it well as the Montana post office doesn't seem to care much. Working fine, which I'm sure it wouldn't be if you hadn't done such a good job of bubble wrap.

box.jpg

I would really like one if you build another batch.

Got mine today. Glad you took care to package it well as the Montana post office doesn't seem to care much. Working fine, which I'm sure it wouldn't be if you hadn't done such a good job of bubble wrap.

Whoa, ouch! Glad it survived despite the USPS abuse!

Received mine but am in the middle of a move so I haven't done anything with it. Looks good though... Thanks!

Finally bought a new 14.8CF freezer today and plugged the unit in. Unsure if I need to learn more of the functions but I have it set for 65 and check it every hour or so and it varies from 62 but haven't seen it go past 65. I don't have a heater yet, but in guess I could rig up a drop light or use my heat gun inside hanging from one of the baskets. 3* isn't much! I guess I just expected the temp not to move much at all.

I'll have to take the unit apart to flip the cooling outlet 180* so it doesn't interfere with being able to plug in the heat source

So an Update: Had this for about a week now and I have been using it to control a 7cu Kenmore chest freezer at 35 degrees with a primary glass (gasp!) carboy.
Without a heater, or a fan (coming in the mail) I was able to crash cool a cream ale at 35 deg. Temp never went much over 36 with hysteresis set at 1 degree. and no lower than 32.
Which for such a load change I find amazing.

I guess I just expected the temp not to move much at all.

Where is your temp probe located? In a thermowell or taped to the side of the fermenter? Can probably help you tighten up the temp swing if you explain how you're measuring temp.

Right now it's just dangling inside a bubbler. Brewing 10 gallons today and it will be taped to the side of one. This morning it was at 65.2 so maybe the freezer just needed to cycle for several hours.

Mine is holding fermentation at a steady 64-66 degrees. Probe in a stopper thermowell.

My post wasn't meant as criticism. Never had a temp controller or fermentation fridge before

My post wasn't meant as criticism. Never had a temp controller or fermentation fridge before

No worries, 30Bones! Sounds like you're headed down the right road, I tape the sensor to my fermenters as well and have had good results that way.

Have a great brew day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back