Temp controlled kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmurph6

Reaction score
I've been having some issues with my kegerator of my beer not getting cold enough. Originally it was an old GE dorm fridge that I bent the freezer compartment back, when I did that I think I broke the thermostat because the thing would run constantly. I bought a digital temperature controller to fix this issue and hung the probe in the middle of the fridge to get the ambient temp. I then set it to 40 degrees with a dp/dt of 2. When I went to pour a beer after 2 weeks of carbing I get little head with some "fizzing" kinda like coke. I'm serving at 12 PSIG, which got me thinking, maybe the beer isn't cold enough and co2 isn't getting in solution. So I poured a pint and measured the temp of the beer at 50f. Anyone know what's going on? Why isn't my beer at 40? And why is my beer undercarbed? Thanks for the help in advance!

Try putting a regular cooking or brewing thermometer in there to see what it reads and verify your controller is reading correctly.

also you could try taping the probe to your keg with a piece of insulation to get more accurate readings. Another option would be to partially submerge your probe in water.

That's a good idea to check to see if it's reading correctly. I'll try that when I get home.

I actually just came Here to post a different question, but because I am having the same experience.

I have a temperature controller set at 41* and the fridge holds a steady 40*. My beer is not really carbonating at 13psi, but pours with a good head (almost too much). I had it at 14psi because I have the controller at 41*, but changed it to 13psi when I noticed it holding at constant 40*.

I will attach the probe to my keg as well. I didn't mean to hijack the thread, though.

Thanks.

Take a reading of your beer temperature after you pour a pint. Is it pouring at 40?

Pours at 46-48*. Rises quickly.

I just set the controller to 33* & will pour some tomorrow & see if I'm at 33 or 41.

Pouring at 40*. So, the question I have now is: is my temp controller likely off by 8*, or is the keg insulating it, or what's the deal?

I'm putting my brewing thermometer in some water in the fridge & will check it in the morning to see what it reads at.

I'm using the Johnson Controls A419 & now wondering if my lager could have been better! lol.

How are your foaming issues now at the colder temp? I just lowered mine to 37. Let me know how the water thing works

Foam seems about what I'd expect for a beer that hasn't completely carbonated yet. It looked great for about ten seconds I'd guess, after pouring.

I was interrupted between posting & actually walking down there to put the thermometer in the fridge, so I'm glad you asked. I'm doing that now & will let it marinate & acclimate overnight to get an accurate reading.

Already, its holding at 40.

I thought these things didn't need to be calibrated. Time to Google.

Stick the probe in the water and see what it reads. That may tell you something about its calibration.

Be careful not to submerge the probe fully they may not be water proof.

Also if you are having foaming issues you should look into keg system balancing. You may not
have enough hose length to balance your level if carbonation.

Byo did a good article a while back and there is tons of info via google and HBT on balancing.

I'm not really having foam problems anymore.

I do not believe these probes are waterproof. I think I've seen more than one thread mention that.

I checked on lunch today, and the water was starting to freeze (thin layer of ice forming on top), temp of the water was like 36 but as much as I wanted to, I didn't tap one on lunch so I don't know what it pours at now. Will check later, but I did move the controller to 35*. Maybe it just takes more than a day for the beer to hit the set temp?

What I think is sort of funny about this whole thing is that I assume everyone else here who uses this temp controller sets it to x* and pours out at said x*. Is that an incorrect assumption?

Just to follow up, it looks like I am all dialed in. Carbing and pouring almost perfectly. I had posted a few threads when I first started kegging and everyone was telling me to get longer tubing, so I did. Funny thing is I only used it for the first one that I was having problems with. Right now I'm using the barely 5' one from NB.

But, I got more kegs and plans for a keezer, so I will be using the longer tubing soon enough, lol.

So was 35 degrees your magic number to get the beer pouring at 40 deg?

Back