Temp Controlled Herms system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harvestbrew

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am building a single tier bench which will be fired by two banjo burners since I want to use a HERMS system. My question is, with using propane is there an a way to introduce an electronic temp controller to maintain the mash thru the HERMS without going to electric burners? Ideas? Thoughts? appreciated.

A lot of people use Honeywell valves for this. You can use a simple temp controller with on/off control. You can't use PID for these. Check out the automated forum. There was a thread discussing exact models to use.

I am building an electric system, but had a simple idea for my previous gas system I never tried....so take this as an idea only. I was thinking of putting a thermowell in my mash tun in place of my thermometer and using a rancho to run a pump through the herms. I would just manually light and turn off the burner under my hlt to keep it about 3-5 degrees above where I wanted my mash and let the rancho keep my mash the right temp.

My theory was I could never keep my mash perfect but if my hlt fluctuated up and down 5 degrees, I didn't care.

Cheap and possibly effective

Back