Temp Control for Cold Temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcbridge

Reaction score
Winter is coming.

I have fermentation chamber (fridge) with temperature control, which is perfect for maintaining a consistent temp during the summer when it is too hot out.

Now that it's getting colder, I'm looking for an easy/cheapish way to heat my fermentor so that the yeast doesn't fall into hibernation and underattenuate.

For this beer in particular, I have a 10.8 gal SS firkin that I've primed and I want to carbonate fully.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

I plan on making one of these tonight:

Paint Can Heater

I'm in the same position and I can't stop the temp fall in my ferm chamber!!

Cheers!

paint can heater.JPG

I picked up a fermwrap on here for $15 and connected it to my carboy. This morning my mini fridge/ITC-1000 read 63.0F. I was fermenting at 55 for the past month. I don't have room for a paint can heater and personally don't like that amount of heat being on as long as it would need to raise the temperature of my fermenting beer to low to mid 60s from the mod 50s. Ymmv.

Yeah I like that I can put the fermwrap on the top and the left side of the mini fridge. The bucket goes in the middle. Fan to circulate air is on the door with a mini bungee. Of course the fridge evaporator is in the back (bent down). The temp controller STC1000 has electric plugs: hot (ferm wrap) and cold (fridge).

ferm_wrap_mini_fridge.jpg

fan in door.jpg

temp probe on bucket.jpg

Back