Temp control during Summer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewsBrew

Reaction score
Hi,

Relatively new brewer here. I am facing the dilemma now of what to do during the summer months to control fermenter temperature. My house is not air conditioned (Wifey says no). Basement is too moldy, musty, and just plain old gross to do anything down there. Money is not an issue so I have contemplated going the route of buying a small fridge or freezer with a thermostat override. I'm just looking for feedback and suggestions from others that have gone this route. I know its kinda broad but I have no idea how to approach this.

DrewsBrew said:
Money is not an issue so I have contemplated going the route of buying a small fridge or freezer with a thermostat override.

If money's not an issue, that's the way to go IMO. And if you get a used fridge on craigslist, you can do it for <$100.

Second choice would be a water bath, with frozen water bottles added peridically to maintain temp.

Third would be evaporative cooling (wet towel/blanket/sweathsirt over the fermenter, with a fan blowing over it) but that will only get you a limited amount of temp control.

Finally, I wouldn't be afraid to use the basement if the temp is right. As long as you leave everything all sealed up while it'ts down there, grunge shouldn't be an issue. Means hauling the fermenter down and up the stairs, though.

Well, since money is no issue...put A/C in your house since it will increase its resale value!!!! Especially if you live in the south :cross:

Even if you had A/C in your house, I wouldn't recommend running it at the low 60's to keep your beer fermentation at the right temp...seems kinda silly to keep an entire house at that temp just for a carboy of beer...not to mention expensive and wasteful.

You could buy a used fridge ($100 bucks off of Craigslist?) and a Ranco digital temp control unit from ebay ($30-40). That works for most people...if you have the room which is the limiting factor for most people

You can keep your fermentation fridge in your basement...I don't think the mustiness will bother your fermenting beer, especially if its shut up in a fridge.

Good luck!!!

I highly recommend a chest freezer with a digital controller. I can fit 2 five gallon batches in bucket fermenters in this 10 cu. ft. freezer. The 25 watt incandescent light bulb keeps things warm when ambient temps drop below desired fermentation temp.

FermenterHeater.jpg

DrewsBrew said:
Hi,

Relatively new brewer here. I am facing the dilemma now of what to do during the summer months to control fermenter temperature. My house is not air conditioned (Wifey says no). Basement is too moldy, musty, and just plain old gross to do anything down there. Money is not an issue so I have contemplated going the route of buying a small fridge or freezer with a thermostat override. I'm just looking for feedback and suggestions from others that have gone this route. I know its kinda broad but I have no idea how to approach this.
When you say your basement is to messy, moldy and plain gross it sounds like mine. You can still brew some great beers down there! I use glass carboys and with the airlock you don't have to worry about anything getting in. I just wipe down the top of the carboy good when racking. I also wipe the rubber stopper good and the top neck of the carboy with idophor. Don't dismiss that moldy basement just yet. Mine stays at 48 to 52 deg all winter which is great for my lagers.

I agree with EdWort. A chest freezer is the best way to go. It will keep the most consistent temperatures and give you the most room. Just be sure and actually look at the thing before buying it, so you can see how the space is filled out. You never really know where that compressor hump will be or how large it is.

The biggest pain with chest freezers is keeping them clean. Just mop out with a dishtowel and then wipe down with Star-san now and then. You also can use a dessicant, which is what I think Ed has in that can.

TL

I JUST posted this in another thread...

Temp control doesn't have to be expensive...I scored a free fridge from freecycle and painted it orange (check my gallery) and bought an analog temp controler on ebay for like $50.

I would fix whatever is causing the mold in your basement, especially if money is not a problem. My basement used to be that way. I fixed the water problems and no longer have things growing in my basement. Then turn that into a temperature controlled brew cave. Or if your lucky, your basement (once cleaned) may hold at perfect brewing temps year round. If thats not an option, go with the chest freezer and digital controller.

Buy a chest freezer and temp controller as Edwort suggested and ferment in that. Also buy a dehumidifier and start freshening and cleaning up the basement. A $1 gallon of bleach in 5 gallons of water put thru a pump sprayer can undue a tremendous amount of mold and mildew.

Once the basement dry's out a bit...ferment in the basement...the brew is sealed in the fermenter and well protected.

Then convert the chest freezer to a kegerator and really start livin.

uhlee1 said:
I would fix whatever is causing the mold in your basement, especially if money is not a problem. My basement used to be that way. I fixed the water problems and no longer have things growing in my basement. Then turn that into a temperature controlled brew cave. Or if your lucky, your basement (once cleaned) may hold at perfect brewing temps year round. If thats not an option, go with the chest freezer and digital controller.

I wish. We live in an old cape that used to be her grandmothers and now is owned by her parents. We live here because its almost free while we save for our own house. So, being temporary, I dont want to do too much renovation if we arent going to be here in 2 years. Also, its a 70 year old house with a granite stone foundation. Once those leak even a little, they are almost impossible to repair. There is asbestos in the basement too, as well as the other formentioned nasties. I do intend on having my brew cave someday...just not in this house.

Someone mentioned just installing AC. After having no AC last year, I am allowed one window unit in the bedroom this year. However, she will not tolerate the smell of the fermenter so thats out. I had to beg for the bedroom AC. I live with the cheapest woman on the planet. I get dirty looks whenever I mention stopping at the store to grab a snack on the way to work. We have plenty of cash. Its just a struggle to get purchases approved by her. Getting the fridge purchase approved will be a superhuman feat, even if its a cheapy off craigslist.

I don't think you'll have any problems fermenting in the basement. The airlock will prevent anything from getting sucked in, as long as you're diligent about keeping the right fluid level in there. You're probably right that you wouldn't want to brew down there, but once you've got the carboy closed up, it really doesn't matter IMO.

Look up "Son of a fermentation chiller" on yahoo or google. There are instructions on how to build a very efficient, and CHEAP fermentation chiller. It stills very stable over time thanks to a working thermostat, and it cools with ice cubes that you have to replace every week. A small fan circulates the air. I have been meaning to build one of these but I can never quite find the time.

MUCH cheaper than buying an extra fridge, especially since electricity costs are expected to rise very soon....An extra fridge adds a ton to your electricity bill, especially if it is an old fridge.

Hi there;

An alternative to BUYING a fridge is a method like this (which would work great in a cool, dank basement):

Wrap your carboy in an old, wet T-shirt, place in a shallow tub with water. Place a fan blowing next to the carboy. As the water get soaked up by the T-shirt and evaporated by the fan, VOILA, your beer is cooled 5-10 degrees below room temp.

This works best in a not-hot room. Works better with a Carboy than a Bucket.
Don't let your Carboy get onto any "Fermenters Gone Wild" videos..

Also, I don't brew during the hottest 4-6 weeks of the year. Trust me, boiling hoppy wort may be great, but spouses don't appreciate it (AC or not) when it's 100 degrees in the house! If you're hardcore: Brew an extra batch ahead of the month, and have ingredients on hand so on that first cool night you can cook up a batch.

Best!

brooklynbrewer

What I do personally is get a big kimchi bucket (a plastic garbage bucked would work too) and have the fermenter (and bottles) float in there with a bunch of bottles and a wet towel on top. I periodically check the temp and add ice or 2 liter bottles full of ice that I keep in the freezer.

Back