Temp and dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seedubxj

Reaction score
Any harm in dry hopping at serving temps? Was going to add 2oz hops tonight and throw the carboy in my keezer. Any reason to not do this?

Any harm in dry hopping at serving temps? Was going to add 2oz hops tonight and throw the carboy in my keezer. Any reason to not do this?

Nope, there's no reason that I can think of. Keep in mind that it'll take longer to get the dry hop flavor when it's cold.

Oh, I see. Well the IPA is for a party on the 27th, so I hope that'll be enough. If the consensus is that its not, I'll keep the carboy @ room temp.

I honestly don't know. I rarely dry hop, since I mostly like Belgian-style and maltier/lower-gravity English styles (dark strong and mild are probably my two favorite styles). I'd be inclined to stay that 5 days at room temp would be enough, and you should be able to get it carbed in the remaining 6 days, but other people are probably more experienced with IPAs than I am. You could also try to transfer some of the dry hops as you're racking, since they probably won't have completely dropped out in 5 days.

Do one better, dry hop in the keg.

Simply put the hops into a sanitized nylon bag and set it all to chill and carbonate. I've had a batch dry hopped this way go about 6 weeks (from transferring to the keg, dry hopping and then chilling/carbonating all at the same time) without any issue at all. Other than being upset when the keg kicks. With the nylon bag, you won't get hop particles plugging the dip tube.

I'm not the only person who does this with great results.

Do one better, dry hop in the keg.

Simply put the hops into a sanitized nylon bag and set it all to chill and carbonate. I've had a batch dry hopped this way go about 6 weeks (from transferring to the keg, dry hopping and then chilling/carbonating all at the same time) without any issue at all. Other than being upset when the keg kicks. With the nylon bag, you won't get hop particles plugging the dip tube.

I'm not the only person who does this with great results.

I do it with IPA's all the time :mug:

I do it with IPA's all the time :mug:

Making an IPA this weekend that I'll probably dry hop in serving keg. :tank: :mug:

BTW, I dry hop with whole hops. IME, easier to keep them contained (hop sack/bag) compared with pellet hops. You also get treated to wonderful aroma when you open up the kicked keg. :rockin:
I've found that I really like about 1oz per 3 gallon keg.

steelersrbrun said:
Done. Recipe for a successful party. Take the keys of whomever hovers on the keg all night:)

Indeed. It's the biggest brew I've done so far. Looks to be about 7.75%. Only to be outdone by the imperial pumpkin I will be legging 5 days before Halloween. It should be right under 10%.

Indeed. It's the biggest brew I've done so far. Looks to be about 7.75%. Only to be outdone by the imperial pumpkin I will be legging 5 days before Halloween. It should be right under 10%.

Man, you "leg" a lot of beers...and I don't even know what that means! :D

Latest posts

Back