Tell us what your first beer was

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Summer of '73. 11 yrs old. My dad (a non-drinker) and I went to see a car crusher a friend of his got for his junkyard. Blazing summer sun, nothing to drink. My dad was given an Old Milwaukee which he was nursing. I was so thirsty I asked for, and was given some. I spit it out in disgust.

I use to help my dad brew an English Pale that I use to get a sip of with some regularity. That was back in the days when LME was sold in the store for use in cooking (45 + years ago). I remember the first time that he got LME that was hopped and had a yeast packet in it! We thought we had died and gone to heaven, or at least Munich.

When I was little I'd take corn to the granary with my Grandpa. We'd wait at his sister's bar and he'd have a Pabst and I'd have an orange soda. Sometimes I'd get a sip of the good stuff... mom never found out :)

My first beer was in Mexico, I was 13 or so. We sneaked on top of the tallest building in Chihuahua MX, where my 18 year old cousin and his friends had a 24 back of Indio waiting. This is actually not bad beer quite hoppy. At the time I hated it! I would take a sip with them and then when they weren’t looking I would dump some over the building. Really didn’t like it back then.
indio.jpg

Corona. Hated it... in the basement of our apartment complex in Beijing.

Now its okay with some lime. Certainly not worth the price.

PBR - my older friends thought it was funny to send me up to the Korean market up the street on a BMX bike at 11 years old to buy beer. I came back with three six-packs balanced on the handlebars. The Korean market was less than meticulous about checking ID, but what the hell, it was '84

My first beer was actually a Sam Adams Boston Lager, warm, when I was 17.

Put me off beer completely until I was 28.

Coors - I was 10 and got heat stroke while on vacay in Arizona so my dad filled me up with beer and pretzles for the liquid and the salts. Thanks Dad!

Grats to the guy who drank Lowenbrau!

My first full beer was a can of Coors that had seen a few winters in the corner of our garage. I was around 13. It was 80 degrees out and it was really warm from sitting in my back pack in the sun. Took me at least a year to get that taste out of my mouth.

When I was about 5 (I know, I know, rednecks) my dad gave me a dixie cup with some beer in the bottom. I'm sure it was Schaefer's since that's all he drank (it's also our last name, go figure). He did that often as I grew up, so I never minded the "cheap" beer. My older brother moved to Alaska when I was young, and when I was around 16 he brought back some Alaskan Amber. That was the first time I realized there was "beer" and there was "good beer".

My first beer was Killians Irish Red. I was 19 working as a line cook in a restaurant, and the chef bought us a pitcher of killians.

Weinhards Blue Boar. With my cousin during spring break at his dorm room (i was a sophomore i think).

First good beer: Sierra Nevada with my dad on the golf course.

Not sure exactly which one, but I had a fancy pants Dunkelweizen from Germany. I thought it was disgusting.

That was the summer after I graduate High School, and it took me over 4 years before I had the beer that made me like beer--Boundary Bay's Cabin Fever.

I wouldn't have appreciated a good beer either back then I think but where I am from there was no availability on good beer. I remember having my first guiness at this punk bar and I was floored that they had such a high quality beer on tap. Now Guiness is the law mower but then it was something special for me. I appreciate the good stuff that much more having drank the Old Mil and MGD and frickin Mickeys 40s lol.

My first sip of beer(at least acoordind to my father:cross:))was Heidelberg whilst sitting on the dinning room table. First full beer. I snuck a Busch outta the fridge. i think my father knew I did he just didn't say anything. Man I slammed it down fast. Was watery then is watery now. For first craft brew I am happy to say was a Deschutes Black Butte Porter. I don't remember the occasion but to this day it is my favorite beer.:mug:

First sip: Aged 10ish. Bud heavy. As a result I didnt drink a full one until I turned 26 haha. I obviously wasnt impressed, but like it now!

First full beer: Aged 16. Stolen from my neighbors garage fridge. PBR. Blech! Drank plenty more of those at 25 cent draft night in college!

First craft: Aged 19. It was a Saranac..not sure which though. It was in the Adirondack Sampler.

Stevo2569 said:
Mine was the beast(Milwaukee's Best ). Me and my older brother snuck them out of my dads boat in the live well. Tasted like piss. But we forced them down. I was around 9 I think. I was 19 before I tasted anything besides bud light. My taste have progressively gotten better since.

Here here. Beast at a high school party

Back