tell if fermentation stalled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinm001

Reaction score
Started my first batch on 6/21 with OG 1.024 but it should of been 1.044. This was my first attempt and explains why i ended up with 6gal instead of 5gal.

There wasn't any noticeable bubbles in airlock for the first week, but I put a temp sensor in so air might of been escaping. Also the temps were very low at 60deg.
I assumed the yeast died off and needed to repitch yeast. I pitched more yeast on 7/6, removed the temp sensor and moved to 70degree temp, but still no bubbles from airlock. SG is now 1.018, FG should be 1.010.

This batch is 2 weeks in and i'm not sure if i should pitch it or what to do with it all. here's the recipe https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/centennial-blonde-45

Any thoughts? just FYI, I started another type of beer 7/6 and its fermentating great, no problems. so I learned my lesson.

Wed need more info on your whole process from beer #1. That is certainly not done fermenting unless you added a massive amount of unfermentables somehow. What exactly caused it to only get 1.024 for the OG? Poor grain crush? What yeast did you use to pitch and repitch? Did you aerate the wort?

grain crush was fine and wort was aerated fine. We used nottingham yeast both for pitching and repitching similar to http://www.morebeer.com/products/dr...6ZABCIqz1cag7DXfNFwdher2qqzsTb_YWqBoC77nw_wcB

The OG was low because of miscalculating the water which explains why i ended up with 6 gal instead of 5.

im not sure if its worth saving or to just throw out. Theres quite a bit of sediment in the bottom, about 1/4" and im not sure what thats from or if it should be there

grain crush was fine and we aerated the wort plenty. We used nottingham dry yeast and used according to instructions. The OG was so low because we used too much water and ended up with 6 gallons instead of 5 and didn't think to boil it out.

Im not sure if i should just toss it or let it finish fermenting and try it. Is there anything I can do to try to save it?

Back