Tell if beer is skunked, before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyWarrior

Reaction score
I’m a long-time all-grain brewer and am returning from a two year hiatus.

My beer has been fermenting for almost two weeks and I just remembered the golden rule about not leaving it in sunlight....having left it on the floor by my glass back door the entire time!! The things we forget...

Due to bottle in a few days. Is there any way now to tell if it is skunked (either through smell or taste), so I don’t go to the trouble of bottling it up and finding out in three weeks’ time?

Cheers,
HW.

First, get a skunk, and taste it. Then, taste the beer. if they taste anything alike, it is skunked. If the beer tastes okay, proceed with bottling.

Are there a lot of hops in this beer? The more hops, the more skunk. (Corona light doesn't seem to have a problem.)

Stalking takes time, I’d carbonate and then keep the bottles cold rather than letting them condition at temps above fridge level.

I've heard that certain Mexican brewerys had to automate the uv exposure process. Most of their customers won't drink an un skunked beer. Just look for clear bottles to see which ones. Please tell us how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back