Teflon Tape or RectorSeal for CO2 Regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the best way to seal regulator parts?

• RectorSeal No. 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Green Teflon Tape

• Pink Teflon Tape

• Yellow Teflon Tape

• Nickle Teflon Tape

• Total voters

Cogswell

Reaction score
I'm rehabbing a 50psi primary regulator I bought secondhand. I want to replace the gauges and piggyback it to another primary regulator so I have 100psi for soda and 50psi for beer. (I have secondary regulators to step those down as needed.)

It looks like this regulator was built using blue teflon tape on everything, input, output, and gauges. I've never liked tape. I prefer to use RectorSeal No. 5 instead whenever it's appropriate.

What do you all prefer to use on your regulators?

I like this stuff for all gas work - iron, brass, whatever.
Tbh I didn't know there were so many different Rectorseal types and there may be a better version but this one has never let me down...

1631288840458.png

Cheers!

I've always used the white Teflon tape for any metal on metal thread connections. Using the right amount I have not had any leaks. IMO, the PSI levels you're talking about are insane. Even if you 'step those down as needed' it's still crazy high. I might consider going a little above the max if you're going to use secondary regulators, but not several times your max pressure level.

For me, using the tap, and not a compound like that for a few reasons.
1. Tape won't dry out and/or expire.
2. I don't need to worry about the can not sealing fully and the contents drying out.
Or the can getting knocked over while open and spilling out.
3. I don't change things often enough to warrant getting the jar, or even small tube, of that stuff. Once things are setup, they stay that way for years. Now that I'm not using NPT fittings in my kettles my use level of tape has gone way down.

Back