Removing barb fitting from regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3dB Brewing

Reaction score
I have a TOF regulator with a 5/16 barb gas output. It looks like it's just screwed into a ball valve, like this:
Barb.jpg

I want to replace the barb with a 1/4 NPT DuoTight fitting for use with EVABarrier tubing.

That seems simple enough, but when I put two wrenches on the respective parts, it feels like they're welded together. I figured it would just be screwed in, with teflon tape, but this thing is solid. Is there some sort of cement on the threads (e.g., loctite)? Is it not meant to ever be removed? I was going to put the ball valve in a vice and just haul on the barb fitting with a Big Wrench, but somebody please tell me if that will break/ruin my regulator!

Well I had to give up when I wanted to change the stem on my regulator to go on an oxygen cylinder. It was unbudgable.
If you can't get it off could get a duotight adapter for the tube on the barb to the 8mm EVA barrier tube.

[...]Is there some sort of cement on the threads (e.g., loctite)? Is it not meant to ever be removed?[...]

For the first, yes, almost certainly, as they're assembled at a factory a fluid sealant would be a lot quicker to apply. As for the the second, it would be conjecture on my part as to original intent, but from my own experience taking one apart (hint: heat) I would say they aren't made to be taken apart :)

Cheers!

Make sure your wrenches fit nice on the fittings (don't use an adjustable) and put some ass into it. Probably some pipe dope or sealant on it that is making it difficult to remove.

You can't replace the barb with anything else. It looks like it's just an adjacent fitting but the valve is designed around that barb and the barb fitting is part of the interior teflon seat structure. In other words the whole valve needs swapping out.

perhaps, perhaps not. I've encountered those with the Teflon ball seat. They only way he will know is to take it apart and see what's inside.

You are likely correct but what he posted is just an "illustration". We don't have a picture of the actual valve he is working on.

If that is the case, then he "might" be able to use the fitting he wants "IF" it will work with that Teflon ball seat. Otherwise he will have to daisy chain something together.

I believe the ball valve connects to the regulator body with 1/4 NPT as well, so I could just attach the DuoTight there, and add a valve in-line, or use the one(s) on a manifold.

I mean, I'm not saying there isn't a valve that can be taken apart like that but I think by now over 50 people have emailed me a picture of a regulator valve taken apart where the seat is clearly visible (and subsequently not being pressed into the ball anymore). Another way to say it is that I haven't seen a valve where the barb could be replaced yet, and I've seen a lot of valves.

Well, removing the valve is not an option. It's cemented in as well, and there's no way to put the regulator body in a vice that won't mess something up. Looks like I'm going with duncan.brown's solution of a short hose and adapter of some sort to something a duo can hook to.

I'm disappointed. Truth be told, the duotech was to be a temporary fix. I was hoping to mount an actual 1/4 NPT pipe there, for both a gas connection and a physical mount point, so I could get the regulator off the tank, and out of the kegerator. <shrug> Formulating Plan B...

Back