Tea and tannins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcLight

Reaction score
1. If I want to add Tannins is it better to use black tea or a Wine Tannin addition like:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/wine-tannin.html

2. (Or if there a better tannin to add?)

3. If using tea, I see some boil the tea leaves, let the tea cool, and use that as part of the water. Is that better than dry hopping the tea leaves?

I think many mead makers are using tea rather than wine tannins.

Also, I think most are cold steeping rather than heating the water.

I think many mead makers are using tea rather than wine tannins.

Also, I think most are cold steeping rather than heating the water.

Tea yes. Boiling then cooling yes.

Just that using wine tannins is more........consistant. Tea is more hit and miss. How much to use ? How long to boil ? Etc etc.

I'd use loose black indian tea like Assam. 1 teaspoon per "cup" -presuming about 1/3 pint per cup plus 1 extra teaspoon (1 cups worth 2 teaspoons 2 cups worth 3 teaspoons etc).

Pour boiling water on the teas, a good stir and leave to cool. Strain out the leaves and use at room temp.......

Ok--when you are making tea the smaller the leaves are (greater surface area), the hotter the water, the longer you steep, all bring out more tannic acid. The variety used also plays a role.

When I use tea I usually brew it rather on the long side of properly (say, 5.5 minutes, compared to the 4.75 if I was making it to drink), and around 1-1.5 tablespoons (of loose leaf) per gallon of must.
You can always add more tannins to taste in the form of a concentrated tea in secondary.

Back