tasting question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybrewer09

Reaction score
I brewed the 2 hearted clone that is posted on this site. I have brewed this several times as it is one of my favorite beers.
This one has been in the keg for a couple months and the taste has changed considerably.
It now has kind of a wine like after taste mix with resiny kind of harshness.
I have never had a keg of this last this long so i was wondering if this was common for this beer to change this much over a couple months.

I brewed the 2 hearted clone that is posted on this site. I have brewed this several times as it is one of my favorite beers.
This one has been in the keg for a couple months and the taste has changed considerably.
It now has kind of a wine like after taste mix with resiny kind of harshness.
I have never had a keg of this last this long so i was wondering if this was common for this beer to change this much over a couple months.

A wine like taste that wasn't there before makes me think of oxidation showing up. Some of the classic "cardboard" tastes of oxidation are only the most severe cases. In lesser oxidation, a "sherry" or wine like taste is most often the sign especially if it was there before and is showing up as the beer ages especially as the hops aroma fades.

I don't like brandy, but that's what this flavor reminds me of. Sort of a "brandy" wine taste, if that makes sense.

I should also mention that it has become over carbed. The carbonation was fine for a couple weeks the started to get worse.
I have a 3 tap keezer and my other 2 kegs are fine.
I'm thinking i got an infection!

Thanks Yooper, i could be oxidation, but the over carbing has me wondering.
I'm pretty careful to not splash my beer when transferring but things happen sometimes.

I should also mention that it has become over carbed. The carbonation was fine for a couple weeks the started to get worse.
I have a 3 tap keezer and my other 2 kegs are fine.
I'm thinking i got an infection!

That could be. But most infections can't/won't grow much in cold beer, so it's unlikely.

Back