Taste buds are a personal thing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunhaus

Reaction score
Just a little rambling narrative: I recently made a batch of cider we have made a few times in the past, largely because my wife and son love it so much, and like it for special occasions. It is a slightly sweet cider backsweetend with just a bit of sweet cherry, and a fairly high ABV. It is smooth and sweet and has a neat apple cider finish in your nose. It was time to test this new batch, so I broke out a couple bottles and we served it still over ice. We tasted. I thought,"Yummy, tastes like usual." My wife said MMMMMmmmmm. My son said, MMMMMMMmmmmmm. His friend Danny said, MMMMMMMM WOW. My future daughter-in-law said nothing. She just made that terrible pickle face no brewer really wants to see.

Turns out she never had hard cider, and since we call this brew Cherry Darling, she did not think in terms of apples. Turns out she REALLY hates apples! No one loves everything! But it made me think back to the first time i ever had an IPA

I was at a pub with my brother and brother-in-law, and IPA's were just starting to really crop up, and the bartender wanted us to try a new one they were thinking of adding. I will say right here, my brother is NOT a beer lover. And my brother-in-law FIRMLY believes there is only one beer and one beer alone on earth and it starts wit B ends in d and is three letters long. You may have figured out my horizons are slightly broader.

Anyway, the beer was served and based on the faces made, and the sounds that came from my companions I was quite sure IPA stood for Ickkk, PPFFFftttt, AAHHCCKKK! As these were largely what i was hearing. With some trepidation i took my first pull . . . Personally, I would have thought IPA stood for Immediate Personal Epiphany.

No real point here - just something that came to mind when i saw that pickle face! And maybe food for thought when trusting others opinions on the taste or flavors of a new brew.

I think I'll to give that Cherry Darling a try before I can further comment...

:mug:

Personally, I would have thought IPA stood for Immediate Personal Epiphany

You have put into words what I was feeling when I had my first IPA. I do not recall what it was. But I do remember where I was, who I was with, what day it was and how it made me happy to finally be drinking a beer with some amazing flavors in it. Until then, my idea of 'craft' was Stella. :)

Yes. Personal taste is extremely subjective, and it even evolves/devolves over time.

People like what they like--and they aren't wrong for liking or not liking something.

This was one of the most important things I learned about brewing and whether my beer is good or not. I had a Belgian that Morrey brewed; good flavor, carbed correctly, no off flavors, true to the style. And I didn't like it very much. Why? Because I don't particularly care for Belgians. But it was a good beer, judged against the style.

Just don't offer me one. :)

Latest posts

Back