Target hops smell like pot/farmhouse ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfr1111

Reaction score
I'm brewing a simple session bitter (1.036 with some crystal and Special roast) and I picked up a bunch of Target for bittering. I'm hoping to bitter my future Barleywine with it, but I now have some reservations...

I opened the package and altough the pellets don't smell bad per se, there's a very spicy, farmhouse, funky thing going on with not much aroma. It doesn't smell cheesy like hold hops and they are still green, but I get a lot of ganja in the aroma.

Anybody has had a similar experience using Target ?

Hmmm, hops don't smell like pot to me, but since they have thawed a bit, there's also some pine in there.

Well since hops and marijuana are very similar botanically (being in the same plant family and all) that doesn't surprise me. They both have similar aromatic compounds in them.

The smell isn't all that pleasant, but for bittering it should do the trick. Altough an all Target beer wold be interesting to see if the spicy farmhouse persists in the finished beer.

Ive done a baltic porter with all target gave me the perfect mellow earthy biterness to let malt show through. Dont know that it would work for an ipa but as bittering or in darker beers eg stout porters its great

When I first read the title I thought to myself, "What the hell is Target doing selling hops?":mug:

Has anyone ever tried hopping with Cannabis? Say at the end of the boil for Aroma, considering there are so many different strains of medical Cannabis. I mean curious minds wanna know, right? I'm sure some brewers in CO or Seattle have tried it. Hmm Funky buzz Saison, :p

Does anyone else here love the smell of skunk? Not skunky beer or a certain skunky smelling plant, but actual skunks? Whenever there's one nearby I always breathe it in and savor the smell. Is that weird?

haha, I knew those CO and WA brewers must have tried it !! LOL ! My fall Harvest Saison is just fine without the cannabis, wouldn't want to screw this outstanding beer up..

Does anyone else here love the smell of skunk? Not skunky beer or a certain skunky smelling plant, but actual skunks? Whenever there's one nearby I always breathe it in and savor the smell. Is that weird?

Funny, I understand where you are coming from. I don't mind the smell of a nearby skunk, just as long as it is not right next to me. Last time my dog got sprayed, she was a bit ripe and it lasted for weeks.

Pertaining to the OP,there are certain hops that do seem to give off that characteristic aroma of KB. I think I read that somewhere. :)

The way to make weed beer is simple. Soak a good bit of bud in vodka or everclear for several weeks/months. (THC is alcohol soluble) Then, simmer it for about 15 mins (thc is also heat soluble, if its everclear you might want to dilute it) After primary fermentation add this mixture (with or without the weed still in it) to the carboy. Let it sit for a week or so then bottle.

The way to make weed beer is simple. Soak a good bit of bud in vodka or everclear for several weeks/months. (THC is alcohol soluble) Then, simmer it for about 15 mins (thc is also heat soluble, if its everclear you might want to dilute it) After primary fermentation add this mixture (with or without the weed still in it) to the carboy. Let it sit for a week or so then bottle.
or do a barleywine or similar large beer and bulk age it with the stuff in a mouslin.

Back