Tapping a keg....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm really asking this....

But can someone go through the steps with me (or provide a link) on how to tap a beer keg?

I got my Sanke coupler in the mail today, and soon I'm going to purchase a keg (1/6 barrel) from that St. George Brewery I talked about a while back.....but I have no idea how the coupler works because I bought it used AND I've never used anything like it before.....
I'm assuming you
1. Put the coupler over the opening on the keg and pull the handle away and push it down until it locks
2. Attach beer line to the top connection
3. Attach CO2 line to the side connection (basing this on the sizes of the conections on the coupler I have, not the picture below)
4. Dispense

Is this right? Are the steps important?

Any help would be appreciated! :cool:
It looks like this:
Q06.jpg

That looks like a regular kind of beer tap to me....put that over the opening, twist it to the right FIRST and lock it in, then pull the handle out and lock it down. If you dont twist it first it will spray you with beer. I believe the CO2 goes into the side port and the beer comes out of the top.

Hope that helps.

I imagine you would have to attach the lines before tapping, as the kegs come pressurized and would start spraying beer everywhere if the lines and taps weren't in place first.

D-brewmeister said:
I imagine you would have to attach the lines before tapping, as the kegs come pressurized and would start spraying beer everywhere if the lines and taps weren't in place first.

See? Aren't we glad I opened this for discussion? :D
I'm not ready for a beer shower in homebrew!!!!
FWIW, I'm not doing anything with that tap unless I know EXACTLY how to do it..... :p

...Yeah, sorry man, I was assuming you would have those other lines hooked up first. All the lines should be hooked up, then put the tap on, twist and lock. I usually leave the CO2 tank off first and then draw a couple brews out and once it slows down a bit turn on the CO2 and adjust to around 5 psi. Then drink the keg until its empty and do it again :D

I used to work at a bar and my job was to switch the kegs when they ran out. I sprayed myself a couple of times before i got the hang of it. I was a buss boy and 15-16 years old and then i would continue working with the smell of beer all over me :D I guess my boss didnt agree with the law to be 18 to handle alcohol, but i didnt care.

Back