Tapioca malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet it isn't "malted" just like sorghum syrup isn't from malted sorghum- just labeled a malt extract. Good luck with the shipping though, you might as well order the malted sorghum grains while you're at it.

Haven't seen it before. I've mainly seen tapioca in its pearl form, which would require mashing. If the syrup doesn't have the sweet aftertaste of sorghum syrup, it could be a good thing.

I've seen the syrup before. However, everything I've read about it is that it's pretty tasteless.

gotta strawberry blonde i tossed together monday that used Breiss tapioca as a base.

the recipe is as follows

7# of breiss tapocia malt
5# of home toasted millet
1.5# Clover honey
1ox Czech saaz (.5 @ 80min, .25 @ 40min and 20min)
1/2 tsp irish moss @ 20min
2# fresh ripe strawberries
coopers ale yeast packet

started heating ~4gal of water. and steeped toasted cracked millet for ~ 1hour
pulled the grain bag and turned the heat up
added the tapioca and honey
got the boil started and hopped according to the above

during the cool down brought some water to a boil to blanche the strawberries.
quartered them, blanched them for about 2 min, strained them, then tossed them into the primary (8gal bucket, strawberries may be hard to pull from a carboy), and proceeded to roughly crush them with a sterile potato masher.

added the cooled wort, pitched the yeast and stashed the whole mess in the closet..

that was monday.. currently its fermenting nicely and ill check it in a week when i rack it.
the my hydro told me potential alcohol is around 10% (yes it talks to me :p)

so well see what happens

Based on the information about tapioca over at nutritiondata.com (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5733/2) it appears that tapioca is all sugar and little of anything else.
Carbs: 100
Fat: 0
Protein: 0
Calcium: 0
Iron: 13

Based on that info, I bet it would make a good base malt, but likely would contribute relatively nothing to the flavor. Then again, that might be a good thing.

fwiw if you did a combo of about 50% Tapioca and 50% Buckwheat you'd end up with a carb/fat/protein and mineral ratio almost exactly that of Barley.

I think it would be awesome if we could get buckwheat malt...

I'm sure someone is now going to chime in with how easy it is to malt buckwheat. :p

i special ordered the tapioca malt from my LHBS.

and malting buckwheat, yeah that might not be all that hard, haven't done it yet. malting quinoa was pretty easy. unfortunately, ive been having a heck of a time finding raw whole buckwheat.

one option ive been pondering, is to use flours of these various GF grains: add some water and make some buiscit sized cakes and bake 'em. then break up these cakes, toss 'em into the mash with some amylase enzymes.

and malting buckwheat, yeah that might not be all that hard, haven't done it yet. malting quinoa was pretty easy. unfortunately, ive been having a heck of a time finding raw whole buckwheat.

one option ive been pondering, is to use flours of these various GF grains: add some water and make some buiscit sized cakes and bake 'em. then break up these cakes, toss 'em into the mash with some amylase enzymes.

I think I've heard of that being done in the Aussie forums. From what I read there it seemed that grinding your malted grains into a flour results in a better conversion.

The Tapioca 45 DE High Maltose? From all those listed that seems like the best...did you have to get a full sized order? Since I read this post I've been pondering using a different syrup in place of the sorghum, but I haven't had the time to experiment with replacing it fully or partially.

I read a few things on malting buckwheat, although it didn't sound too hard, it required more equipment than I have (that being, like, any). But I was under the impression that the buckwheat I got at the grocery store, which is hulled but not crushed, is fine? Its like 'groats' or something, they look like seeds about the size of a BB, but not particularly 'round'.

I think http://www.strangebrew.ca/Drew/buckwheat.html might be what I saw...

yeah. that's the one ive used.

so since ive just started this brewing thing cuz i cant affor to drink greens and st peters all the time and i think redbridge is a lot like sex in a canoe "f-ing close to water" ive only put together 3 batches.
i got impatient with my order at the LBHS so for the first i malted quinoa. came out AMAZING! nice color, great clarity. everyone i drank left me wanting another.
the second was using breiss sorghum DME as a base. thats bottle conditioning right now
and the third, used Breiss tapioca DME as the base. thats in the primary right now.

the sorghum and the tapioca extracts are available in 7# tubs(i get these) or 60# barrels..... i dunno about you. but i can neither afford, store, nor get through 60# of anything before it goes to funk.

since i havent used any of the malt extracts before im trying what ever i can find for comparison reasons.

in terms of replacing sorghum extract. i havent any clue. experimentation is all i can recommend. but IMO, all grain might be the best way to go, in terms of versatility and general all all around control

Someone who has been malting and roasting their own GF grains should start doing it commercially. There's probably a lot of money to be made from GF brewers.

oh man, i could not agree more. some one should start selling malting GF grains..
wont be me just yet. im still just doing it kitchen style.. one of these days when i get money im thinking about devising some sort of screen cuppboard to malt and dry in. and perhaps a coffee roaster to roast in.

the main issue i have currently is evenly roasting. cuz oh man its a pain in the butt to pull trays every few minutes to stir.

I saw a thread in the DIY section about malting barley and he was trying to convert an old dryer for roasting. You could hook up a higher intensity heating element, and install a screen to the inside barrel to keep the grains from falling through, and either spin it yourself or get an old dryer that still spins but has a faulty heating element. I'd do it but I live in an apartment and would have nowhere to put it. If you lived near me I'd help you put a malting/roasting operation together and we could sell online.

I read a few things on malting buckwheat, although it didn't sound too hard, it required more equipment than I have (that being, like, any). But I was under the impression that the buckwheat I got at the grocery store, which is hulled but not crushed, is fine? Its like 'groats' or something, they look like seeds about the size of a BB, but not particularly 'round'.

I think http://www.strangebrew.ca/Drew/buckwheat.html might be what I saw...

I've successfully malted the hulled buckwheat from Whole Foods a few times. The only time it didn't work was when I experimented using lye as a fungicide during the process.

I'm sure I'll give the lye another shot. I think it may have affected the absorbtion rate of the buckwheat and killed the grain. I'll have to tweak the soaking times.

I'd rather use potasium sulfite than bleach.

Back