Tapcooler Counter Pressure Bottle Filler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camonick

Mediocre brewer... Expert drinker
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, @camonick. Did you end up buying one? I'm considering buying one myself. I have a Blichmann Beer Gun, but it's just a lot to set up and clean up. I tried bottling straight from a growler filler today, and that worked fine, but I had a lot of wasted beer. There's another thread with some reviews of the Tapcooler, and it looks promising.

*Edited to include correct link.

Hey, @camonick. Did you end up buying one? I'm considering buying one myself. I have a Blichmann Beer Gun, but it's just a lot to set up and clean up. I tried bottling straight from a growler filler today, and that worked fine, but I had a lot of wasted beer. There's another thread with some reviews of the Tapcooler, and it looks promising.

I bought one last year. I have a Williams Warn counter pressure filler that I no longer use. If you have forward sealing faucets the Tapcooler is ridiculously easy to setup, use and clean. I have lost one of the small washers though.

Last edited:
I'm using the version for filling cans. Since I go direct from fermenter, the QD connection is no issue. I fill a keg (2.5 or 3 gallon) and can the rest. I have it setup on a rolling mesh cart right next to the Cannular Pro.

I did make my own base for the canning setup since the base they include, and sell separate, suck.

I have a gen1 Beer Gun as well. At this point I'll only use that for bottling mead (not carbonated).

I haven’t bought one yet. I was going to put it on my Christmas wish list. @RCope has one and says it works like a champ. He also mentioned a problem with one of the little o-rings or filling tube. @seanjwalker1 just got one too but hasn’t used it yet. I think I’ll definitely try getting one before the end of the year no matter what.

I haven’t bought one yet. I was going to put it on my Christmas wish list. @RCope has one and says it works like a champ. He also mentioned a problem with one of the little o-rings or filling tube. @seanjwalker1 just got one too but hasn’t used it yet. I think I’ll definitely try getting one before the end of the year no matter what.
Here's to hoping all your Christmas wishes come true! :mug:

I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. Hopefully it's as stupid-easy to use as everyone says. I had high hopes for the beer gun, but it just has too many pieces and moving parts. If the Tapcooler works out like I hope it will, I'll be selling my beer gun in the For Sale forum in a couple of months.

I like mine. It is, as everyone says, easy to use and easy to clean. The only problem is that the gas release poppet can get stuck sometimes. I usually have to take it apart and re-seat it every time I use it, but it’s not a big hassle.
I had to trim the spring on mine to get it to work decently. Not much, just one or two rings. You'll also discover the 'trick' for getting better fills with it. Especially if you go with the can filling version/add-on (you want to seal on foam). Once you dial everything in, though, it does work well. I do wish that they hadn't dropped the options to have it free standing. IMO, that was a poor decision.

It makes bottling so easy. The only issue is that at least once per session I forget to turn the tap off before removing the bottle. Other than that I end up with only a few drips.
At least once per session.

Last edited:
I like mine. It is, as everyone says, easy to use and easy to clean. The only problem is that the gas release poppet can get stuck sometimes. I usually have to take it apart and re-seat it every time I use it, but it’s not a big hassle.
I store mine with the pressure release knob turned almost all the way out now and it has quit sticking for me.

I had to trim the spring on mine to get it to work decently. Not much, just one or two rings. You'll also discover the 'trick' for getting better fills with it. Especially if you go with the can filling version/add-on (you want to seal on foam). Once you dial everything in, though, it does work well. I do wish that they hadn't dropped the options to have it free standing. IMO, that was a poor decision.

I have both versions of the can filler and I find the new version is much better IMO. I just made my own mount for it next to my seamer.

I have both versions of the can filler and I find the new version is much better IMO. I just made my own mount for it next to my seamer.
How do you have it mounted? From what I've seen, there's no mount like with the first version where it will be on the top surface (draining below it) like I have. To make a mount like what I have now would be more complicated. If they want to change how the can locks into position, fine. Just don't remove your ability to have it free standing.

How do you have it mounted? From what I've seen, there's no mount like with the first version where it will be on the top surface (draining below it) like I have. To make a mount like what I have now would be more complicated. If they want to change how the can locks into position, fine. Just don't remove your ability to have it free standing.
PXL-20211017-160528309-PORTRAIT-compress70.jpg

I'm going to have to take measurements of the clamp that came with my Tapcooler to see about making an adapter for the new version. That way I can continue to use it as I do now. I'll use either a piece of plastic I have on hand (I have plenty) or aluminum (also plenty on hand) for that. That way I can continue to raise/lower the filler with the can above the draining base. Of course, it looks like I'll need to get a new cutter for the slot to the clamp head.

I got this recently. I started kegging but wanted a method to bottle for sharing or trips. I tried filling directly off the faucet but that looses carbonation. This is really easy to use and fills will minimal foaming. The resulting bottles were nice and carbonated.

I’ve not used a beer gun before, but this seems easier.
EAAD2C78-827E-4104-BE4B-583E453AE309.jpeg
CBA07622-F018-462C-A574-6B1B0EBF18D2.jpeg

How do you like the new version of the can filler? I'm thinking about getting one, but can't decide if it's worth it compared to filling cans using a beer gun and putting the lid on foam. I can see the counter pressure feature being handy when filling cans with a higher carbed beer.

How do you like the new version of the can filler? I'm thinking about getting one, but can't decide if it's worth it compared to filling cans using a beer gun and putting the lid on foam. I can see the counter pressure feature being handy when filling cans with a higher carbed beer.
I have used a beer gun, the OG Tapcooler and the new one and I like the new one the best. I never got along with the beer gun even with bottles or growlers. I always had foam issues. The OG Tapcooler can filler for me was OK but I had some issues getting a good seal on the top of the can and I ruined a fair number of cans by rolling the lip trying to get the can sealed. Others may have had better experience, mine was an early model that I got as soon as they want on sale. The new one, while requiring a mounting system, works just better for me. It grips the can under the lip and pulls up against a gasket. I will try to get a picture of how it works. Once the pressure and vent are all set after a can or two it works really good and I can get several cans filled quickly. I still lid on foam because once you release the can there is a buildup of foam that happens.

I have used a beer gun, the OG Tapcooler and the new one and I like the new one the best. I never got along with the beer gun even with bottles or growlers. I always had foam issues. The OG Tapcooler can filler for me was OK but I had some issues getting a good seal on the top of the can and I ruined a fair number of cans by rolling the lip trying to get the can sealed. Others may have had better experience, mine was an early model that I got as soon as they want on sale. The new one, while requiring a mounting system, works just better for me. It grips the can under the lip and pulls up against a gasket. I will try to get a picture of how it works. Once the pressure and vent are all set after a can or two it works really good and I can get several cans filled quickly. I still lid on foam because once you release the can there is a buildup of foam that happens.
Thanks for the info. I can definitely see this new version being very useful when canning beers that have different levels of CO2. Instead of lowering the pressure on the keg when filling, I was thinking I could just use the pressure relief valve on the Tapcooler to control the flow and prevent too much foaming.

I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. Hopefully it's as stupid-easy to use as everyone says. I had high hopes for the beer gun, but it just has too many pieces and moving parts. If the Tapcooler works out like I hope it will, I'll be selling my beer gun in the For Sale forum in a couple of months.
I like it but for some reason I'm not getting a good seal on my 650ss perlick taps. I had to forego the taps and use the valve/keg connector. I filled some bottles with crown caps and some with flippy tops. I have not tried the crown capped bottles only the flippy and to me they are under carbonated. I had good bottle seals and pre filled with co2 and capped on foam. I'll try a few more bottles and see how that goes. So far though...its a great item I think that needs a few improvements. For one, the rubber seals on the tap need to be a tad larger for a better seal. The pressure valve release tube was more a hinderance than a help...to me. And I think maybe having the hands free bottle holder will be a great help with making a better seal at the bottle opening for improved carbonation. When I sample a crown capped beer from the Tapcooler I'll post. It's a great gadget but needs tweaking.

I have had one of these since mid-last year and used it several times filling all kinds of different types of bottles. The relief valve was finicky to figure out, and it occasionally sticks like what was mentioned. It definitely works better than filling off the tap directly, and I had some flat beers and huge messes from that. Never bothered with a beer gun, or the other counter pressure fillers, so I can't compare. I am looking to venture into canning soon and do away with bottles; the can add-on has caught my eye.

Really like the TapCooler, so simple to use. I had a Blichmann Beer gun and sold it within a month of getting the TapCooler because ease of use and clean up is 100 times easier.
Well I like it but can not get a seal in my Perlick 650ss taps. I tried again yesterday for the 3rd time. I even changed out the little O-Rings with the spare ones, no dice. I wrote to Great Fermentations to see if they could send me a new tap adapter. The valve/keg connector works great but I really bought this and want to use it with my taps. Maybe my Perlicks taps are slightly larger on the I.D from manufacturing but I can't imagine that being the case. I even cut back on the co2 pressure to see if it made a difference, no dice. Pretty good leak. Other than replacing the tap adapter I'm at a lose on what else to do. I guess it could be the o-Rings being mis manufactured but both sets ? Unlikely.

Maybe thicker o-rings from McMaster Carr would work?
Thanks, yeah I thought about slightly larger o rings, same I.D, bigger O.D. Great Fermentations, the company I bought it from through Amazon is trying to figure out a solution for me. For whatever reason they ask me to take front and side photos of my Perlicks and upload them ?? Have no clue what that will do, a 650ss is a 650ss ? They are flow controls but I made sure the flow was no more than 1/2, exactly half way. Maybe I need to lower them to 1/4 ??

Mine fits fairly snug up into the spout on my Intertap faucets, but it just sounds like you need some o-rings that are a little fatter. Any hardware store will have those and will be easy to try out. They're not expensive either. Pressure shouldn't be an issue either, I've run mine upwards of 13-14psi and never had it leak.

Thanks, yeah I thought about slightly larger o rings, same I.D, bigger O.D. Great Fermentations, the company I bought it from through Amazon is trying to figure out a solution for me. For whatever reason they ask me to take front and side photos of my Perlicks and upload them ?? Have no clue what that will do, a 650ss is a 650ss ? They are flow controls but I made sure the flow was no more than 1/2, exactly half way. Maybe I need to lower them to 1/4 ??

I bought my Tapcooler direct from Great Fermentations and I had a similar issue. They contacted Tapcooler and discovered that the vendor of the o-rings provided incorrect sized o-rings (I couldn't tell by looking at them). They shipped me the correct o-rings and problem solved.

I found that I need to spray some starsan on the o-rings to lube them before inserting in my Perlick 650ss taps.

I bought my Tapcooler direct from Great Fermentations and I had a similar issue. They contacted Tapcooler and discovered that the vendor of the o-rings provided incorrect sized o-rings (I couldn't tell by looking at them). They shipped me the correct o-rings and problem solved.

I found that I need to spray some starsan on the o-rings to lube them before inserting in my Perlick 650ss taps.
Wow. You would think they would remember that. I'm almost positive the o rings are the problem. I wrote to tapcooler myself last week asking them about the o rings and a bottle bung that would fit PET bottles. They told me the rings on the Tapcooler should be the right size but that was all. Lot of help they were. You have any idea what size o ring they sent you ? Was it in a packet with size nomenclature ? Thanks for the info !

Wow. You would think they would remember that. I'm almost positive the o rings are the problem. I wrote to tapcooler myself last week asking them about the o rings and a bottle bung that would fit PET bottles. They told me the rings on the Tapcooler should be the right size but that was all. Lot of help they were. You have any idea what size o ring they sent you ? Was it in a packet with size nomenclature ? Thanks for the info !
Unfortunately the o-ring size was not mentioned, only a generic item #. The item # may have been GF022, but since they also replaced my dip tube due to the o-rings splitting I'm not certain. In both seperate cases Great Fermentations was on top of my problems and resolved them fairly quickly.

Unfortunately the o-ring size was not mentioned, only a generic item #. The item # may have been GF022, but since they also replaced my dip tube due to the o-rings splitting I'm not certain. In both seperate cases Great Fermentations was on top of my problems and resolved them fairly quickly.
I should mention that my issue was over 1 year ago. In your case they may have assumed that the o-ring issue was resolved.

I guess. Thanks for your input! I'm sure it's the O rings. I should hear back from Fermentations tomorrow. I'm sure if they just ship me new adapter O rings that will take care of it.

It's a good system, but does require forward sealing faucets of the correct diameter. I make sure to have at least one Nukatap faucet on my keezer at all times for bottling. It takes some practice, but it's the best solution I've found so far. The pressure adjustment knob is the only frustrating part of the system for me.

It's a good system, but does require forward sealing faucets of the correct diameter. I make sure to have at least one Nukatap faucet on my keezer at all times for bottling. It takes some practice, but it's the best solution I've found so far. The pressure adjustment knob is the only frustrating part of the system for me.
Well according to Tapcooler Perlick forward sealing work well with this bottler. I think I just ended up with the wrong size O rings on the adapter. I don't mind the pressure relief valve too much but the relief valve tubing to me is worthless and just gets in the way! I just ended up taking it off.

Well according to Tapcooler Perlick forward sealing work well with this bottler. I think I just ended up with the wrong size O rings on the adapter. I don't mind the pressure relief valve too much but the relief valve tubing to me is worthless and just gets in the way! I just ended up taking it off.
Agree with the tubing, I used mine once and put it away. I believe that it was intended to carry away any foam into a container instead of on the side of a bottle, which is useful if you don't have the pressure relief dialed in.
For the pressure relief valve, I temporary remove it prior to using to make sure that it isn't sticking.

Latest posts

Back