Tap mount to wood bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brumer0

Reaction score
I have a double tap that I'm going to mount to a butcher block bar that I built. What's the best way to mount this? I plan on using a generic gasket that will go between the metal tap and wood bar.

Is this the right thing to do?

Thanks

Faucet towers typically come with a neoprene "gasket" that fits inside the flange and has punch-out perforations for the flange screws to pass through. My 6-tap t-tower with a 3" column came with one and I dutifully used it.

But, frankly I'm not sure what the point is. When you actually stop and look at the whole thing, that neoprene thingie is not going to stop liquid from getting under the flange - indeed, it'll likely soak up and hold onto it. But trying to apply any kind of sealant around or under the flange would likely make an unsightly mess.

At most the gasket will minimize air leakage around the tower flange, which is an ok thing, especially atop a keezer where moisture can be a beyotch to manage. But I don't see much more benefit than that...

Cheers!

Thanks, I'll double check the bottom of the tap.

I was thinking that it would be good to have some kind of additional insulation material between the cooler metal tap and the wood bar top. It would also reduce air leakage (I already have a tower cooler).

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, to the extent that it provides some degree of insulation it'll help keep the flange from sweating during the humid season. With a tower cooler, when we get into late July/mid-August my faucets and shanks start sweating first, while the t-box, column and flange all have either 1" thick closed cell foam or 1/4" thick neoprene liners or that gasket thingie and usually stay dry, so I guess the neoprene is doing something useful :)

Cheers!

You're right. There's a gasket there already. It's super undersized (thickness). I have another on hand and will double it up to protect the wood.

Thanks again!

Back