Tap A Draft - Is force carbing a reality?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mermaid

Reaction score
I bought a tap a draft kit. I'm going to be bottling up my Dead Guy clone this weekend, and putting some of it into 1 tap-a-draft bottle.

I've read some conflicting info on the idea of "force carbing" in a tap a draft bottle.

Some of what I've read states that you can force carb with 2 of the CO2 carts in a bottle (after chilling) and let it sit for a week to reach some level of carbonation (no sugar in the bottle)

Another set of data points to bottle carbing with less sugar for 3 weeks, chilling, emptying 1 of the CO2 and hooking up 1 "full" CO2 cart and 1 empty cart when you're ready serve. The reason for only hooking up 1 full cart, as I understand it, is because of some pressure regulation issues that seem to happen with the TAD system (too much pressure causes a stop valve to engage?)

I trust the second idea more than the first, but the idea of emptying out a cart seems wasteful when I could be emptying that into the beer.

Anyone have any experience with either? Thanks

Back