Tannins: How bad is this gonna be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Token

Reaction score
I was attempting my first double brew day. All was going very well until my full batch (I did a full batch and a half batch) boiled over. It really wasn't that big of a deal since it was in the garage and not on the stove, but I panicked. I turned down the heat real quick but still felt the need to stir a bit to settle the wort down. What did I do? I grabbed my mash paddle. Would have been ok if I had rinsed it off after using it. Yup, I plunged the paddle into the wort while the paddle still had some grains/husks on it from stirring the mash. sigh. I decided to continue with the process, but now I'm wondering if I wasted my time, hops, and yeast.

Is this gonna be one nasty beer? :confused:

Don't worry bout it man I think you'll be fine. We've all done much worse and had good if not great beer come from it. Raising the entire grain bed above 170 could cause you problems but your talking about a very small amount of husk that got in to the boil. I have forgotten to vorlauf several times and had bits of grain in my boil with no ill effects. It will be fine.

Latest posts

Back