tannin problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasman

Reaction score
i did my first full boil yesterday and i was so excited that i made a mistake... i used an extract kit with specialty grains...i steeped the gains in all five gallons of water @ 160 degrees for 1/2 hour..then did the normal rest of boil for an hour....will this ipa beer be awful?

luke

So you boiled the specialty grains? Its not the best idea, but your beer will be fine. Alton Brown does it, why shouldnt we...right?

If you were boiling 10 lbs of grain, that would be a different story.

did you pull the specialty grains out after the steep?
if yes relax ya did fine thats how you do it
if no then yes you are going to have some tannin extraction from the grains. this will reveal itself as an astringent puckering bite to the beer. okay for a stout in small amounts but not good for an IPA

yes i pulled the gains out then briut to a boil...i just though 5 gallons water to one lb of grains was bad...

tannin extraction doesn't start till the grain gets to @170*. as long as you keep the steep below that the water volume doesn't matter

Back