Talk to me about this recipe:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry41h

Reaction score
Gentlemen (and ladies),

I wanted to take a normal thing and twist it. (Dont we all?) So what bat sh*^ crazy style and twist am I looking at? Well, first Im taking the Belgian Wit, turning it in to an American White, and then twisting it to something all-together different. I'm calling it...Red, White, and Blue. I want to make a very American Extra White recipe, split it into two carboys and ferment one carboy with red raspberry and the other with blueberry. At bottling time, I will blend the two with priming sugar in my bottling bucket and bottle condition...the recipe:

3.50 Lbs American Pale 2 row
3.38 Lbs belgian Pilsner
1.93 Lbs White Wheat Malt
1.66 Lbs Torrified Wheat
1.55 Lbs Flaked Wheat
0.50 Lbs Rice Hulls

0.80 Oz Pearle @ 60 mins
0.80 Oz Saaz @ 30 mins

Wyeast #3942 Belgian Wheat Yeast

3 Lbs 1 Oz Oregon Co. Raspberry Puree
3 Lbs 1 Oz Oregon Co. Blueberry Puree

OG 1.056
FG 1.013
SRM 4.1
IBU 28.9
ABV 5.57

Comments...

Are you planning on blending the entire batches or blending according to flavor?

I'd be wise to blend according to flavor, but I have a feeling that my inability to waste perfectly good beer will force me to blend the entirety of the two batches.

Of course, I could always create my blend and bottle the leftovers as a stand alone beer...Now you have me thinking...

I'd be wise to blend according to flavor, but I have a feeling that my inability to waste perfectly good beer will force me to blend the entirety of the two batches.

In that case you could probably avoid splitting the batch if space allows. I'm pretty sure the fruit flavor will be the same if they are fermented together.

You could always do half the batch berry and half plain. Then blend to get the right amount of fruit flavor.

Have any of you ever brewed with Wyeast's 2565 Kolsch? It sounds like a tremendous option for a fruity white ale. Specifically, it appears that alot of the yeast stays in suspension and takes a while to clear which would be a great choice for a beer that I don't really want to have clear. Here is the snippet from Wyeast's website...

This strain is a classic, true top cropping yeast strain from a traditional brewery in Cologne, Germany. Beers will exhibit some of the fruity character of an ale, with a clean lager like profile. It produces low or no detectable levels of diacetyl. This yeast may also be used to produce quick-conditioning pseudo-lager beers and ferments well at cold 55-60°F (13-16°C) range. This powdery strain results in yeast that remain in suspension post fermentation. It requires filtration or additional settling time to produce bright beers.

Have any of you ever brewed with Wyeast's 2565 Kolsch? It sounds like a tremendous option for a fruity white ale. Specifically, it appears that alot of the yeast stays in suspension and takes a while to clear which would be a great choice for a beer that I don't really want to have clear. Here is the snippet from Wyeast's website...

This strain is a classic, true top cropping yeast strain from a traditional brewery in Cologne, Germany. Beers will exhibit some of the fruity character of an ale, with a clean lager like profile. It produces low or no detectable levels of diacetyl. This yeast may also be used to produce quick-conditioning pseudo-lager beers and ferments well at cold 55-60°F (13-16°C) range. This powdery strain results in yeast that remain in suspension post fermentation. It requires filtration or additional settling time to produce bright beers.
The 2565 has a subtle clean fruity taste when fermented in the mid 50's. I've used for a 100% Pilsner Kolsch. The yeast contributes a really nice profile to such a simple recipe.

i think it could be cool if you split the batch like you were originally thinking and then bottle separately as well then when it comes time to serve have the red bottle warmer and blue bottle colder. then your pour a half pint of the blue one and then the rest of the pint could be the red one to get sort of a black and tan deal but with red and blue.

or i guess you could also split the batches earlier and add more fermentables to one to make it less dense so the two dont mix well.

i think it could be cool if you split the batch like you were originally thinking and then bottle separately as well then when it comes time to serve have the red bottle warmer and blue bottle colder. then your pour a half pint of the blue one and then the rest of the pint could be the red one to get sort of a black and tan deal but with red and blue.

or i guess you could also split the batches earlier and add more fermentables to one to make it less dense so the two dont mix well.

This is a cool idea. Give it a cool name and call 1/2 red and 1/2 blue. Do a half and half...Im liking this...

This is a cool idea. Give it a cool name and call 1/2 red and 1/2 blue. Do a half and half...Im liking this...

one would think it would be a good idea to test out first though. get some cheap beer and keep one bottle in the fridge and one not in the fridge and use food coloring to simulate colors then see if you can get it to work out like described.

I think, (and I stress the term think) that with aging that the color will fade. I plan on using the Oregon Fruit Puree and I haven't done much with fruit, but I have heard that it takes on a crazy color in your secondary but tends to fade away with age...

I think, (and I stress the term think) that with aging that the color will fade. I plan on using the Oregon Fruit Puree and I haven't done much with fruit, but I have heard that it takes on a crazy color in your secondary but tends to fade away with age...

I haven't used fruit puree, but whole fruit tends to turn brown as it ferments.

It appears that moving it to a warmer location was effective. In fact, I first moved it to a colder spot with the intention of cold crashing before I thought better of it and took a hydro sample. In fact, just the hour I left it in the cold made the krausen start dropping. When I got home from work last night, the krausen had risen back up so I imagine the fermentation took over again. I'll let that sucker sit for another week and take another hydro.

Latest posts

Back