Talk to me about 3 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started with 3 gallon batches and was wondering I put the whole packet of dry yeast into my fermentor, now I read on this post about doing half the packet Im assuming nothing bad will happen but im wondering is there any downfall to using ths whole packet.?

I've done it both ways, pitched the whole pack and pitched half the pack. I've not noticed any off flavors before when pitching the whole pack. That doesn't mean that it won't happen though. And that doesn't mean that off flavors were were there and I just missed them. You can always get an estimate of how much you need to pitch by using this link. http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
For the last few batches, I've used half the pack. I think the leftover yeast is only viable for maybe a week or so, however.
Another thought when using liquid yeast is to make a starter and then half the starter so you can get two batches out of one pack.

Back