Taking up Woodwork

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMan

Reaction score
I see lots of guys on here putting together some pretty sweet stuff. It's inspiring. And in between brews I'd like another hobby, so I figure I would give woodworking a shot. My tool collection is pretty good, but mostly geared toward auto repairs and random odds and ends.

What tools are the most useful for this? I hear a good router is one of the best things you can get. But probably not something I need right off the bat.

I have a good scroll saw. Decent circular saw. But I feel like there is probably a few tools that would make life easier. Any small tools that I wouldn't think of that are helpful?

My first attempt is going to be a bookshelf for our living room. From my reading I feel like I can do this pretty well. And I shouldn't need any new tools to do it, from what I can think of. Or am I overconfident? Haha.

Tips, Advice? Thanks

Do you have a good handheld drill?

Depending on how much of a purist you want to be with your joinery, you might want to look into a good pocket-hole kit (I've got this one, plus a couple other various add-ons). These things are great for building face frames on cabinetry (yes, and bookshelves) and on boxwork.

When you're ready for it, a nice table saw is typically the center of any good woodshop. Sadly, I'm really not up on what's out there these days for good introductory-level table saws. But I'd definitely research them a lot and make one of them one of your first big purchases.

Last edited by a moderator:
A good table saw is nice. If you have a scroll saw you might not have a need for a band saw. I think a decent jointer/planer is handy, and of course a router table can do amazing things with the right jigs.

You can spend a LOT on getting really nice tools, but you can also get by if you only get equipment has has the minimum of features needed to turn out good work. And there are usually shortcuts or alternate methods and techniques to most things.

A lost of the stuff I've seen here could be done with construction grade equipment or even less. A few might require high quality stuff. A table top table saw, and a cheap router table to go with your scroll saw and you can do a lot of cool stuff.

A high end table saw and quality jointer for making cabinetry and heirloom furniture.

And don't forget a good supply of clamps. And sometimes a nail gun or two, depending on the project. They can really make life easier when making small projects or adding trim pieces.

I do have a drill.

A lot of the mentioned tools are pretty pricey. I didn't realize this. Not sure I'm ready to plunge headfirst with some of those more expensive tools. If I can get by with what I have and maybe a table saw plus a router I think I'll give it a shot. Sounds like I should be able to complete a shelf without too much issue.

Clamps are a good tip, that was one I may have overlooked while looking at the bigger stuff.

I've been toying with this same idea myself. My gameplan, though, is to start with my first project and get the tools that I need to complete that, then amass the tools with what I need for the next project.

It's the same approach that I used for brewing.

So my first project is to build a workbench. Aside from the lumber and hardware, I need a circular saw, drill, maybe a sander. Have those, and I'm good to go.

I know my next project would be radiator covers. I have a compressor and nailer for trim work. I may need some snips if I go with som metal sheeting as an insert. I may look to get a jigsaw for some detail work, possible a dremel.

Oh yeah, not sure how I overlooked clamps. You can never have enough clamps. Note, I didn't say you can never have too many clamps. You will never have enough clamps. It is an unwritten rule that you will be in the middle of clamping up a drawer, cabinet, shelf, or somesuch, only to realize you need one clamp of a given size that you just don't have... It doesn't matter how many you own, it just works out that way. ;) Pipe clamps and several assorted sections of black pipe can be your friend.

I've been toying with this same idea myself. My gameplan, though, is to start with my first project and get the tools that I need to complete that, then amass the tools with what I need for the next project.

It's the same approach that I used for brewing.

So my first project is to build a workbench. Aside from the lumber and hardware, I need a circular saw, drill, maybe a sander. Have those, and I'm good to go.

I know my next project would be radiator covers. I have a compressor and nailer for trim work. I may need some snips if I go with som metal sheeting as an insert. I may look to get a jigsaw for some detail work, possible a dremel.

This is essentially my gameplan, but I wanted to ask here to find out if there was anything special that a beginner would overlook that would make the hobby simpler, better looking, or easier from the start.

Kinda like adding a ball valve to my kettle...had I known it was so handy, I would have done this years ago.

A lot depends on your project. A lot depends on how wide you need a board.

For basic stuff like 6-pack carrying cases a chop saw and maybe a table saw would suffice.

For fancy projects there are several pieces of equipment that cost $500 - $1000 or more easy. Or there are smaller versions that are fine for shorter pieces that cost $100-$300.

For some of the cool things I've seen I would add a finish nailer to my equipment list, just to make that last step of putting it together quick and easy.

Otherwise I'd use the cheap contractor's table say that I inheretied from my dad, and my laser guided compound mitre saw.

A mitre saw was one tool I thought looked really useful. I don't see the need for mitred edges for the first project, bookshelf. Might as well keep the first one simple. I'd like to get into more complex projects though in the future.

A shot glass display is one that I thought would be realy fun to build. But that seems a bit more intricate. I need something to build a little confidence. If the bookshelf goes well, then I'll ask for a nice router for my bday and then I think I can get to the glass display.

Besides mitered edges, a miter saw can make a damn fine crosscut...

A sliding compound miter saw can make cuts wide enough for a basic shelf I think.

good saw blades - It seems silly to mention, but a good cutting blade will be as valuable to you as a good saw. Nice the mitre gets you a perfect 45 angle, but then the wood is all roughed up because the blade isn't good leaves the finish product fitting together, but not as pretty. - this also applies to good router bits and good drill bits.

good saw blades - It seems silly to mention, but a good cutting blade will be as valuable to you as a good saw. Nice the mitre gets you a perfect 45 angle, but then the wood is all roughed up because the blade isn't good leaves the finish product fitting together, but not as pretty. - this also applies to good router bits and good drill bits.

Not silly at all. A tool is only as good as the weakest part.

I have a 10" Delta contractor's table saw with a Forrest WWII blade, it'll cut smooth as silk with no burning through cherry. I was able to convert it to 220 as well. I use this more than anything.

Next would be the router. I have the Porter Cable smaller one- can't remember the model number but it's the most popular router sold. DO NOT scrimp on a router. There are billions of attachments made for this PC one as well.

I also have a 12" Delta planer, very useful.

Then the smaller stuff- drill, belt sander, ROS sander, and clamps. There is no such thing as too many clamps. Harbor Freight has really cheap bar clamp fittings, then you just go buy the bar at the hardware store. Got about 8 of these, invaluable. Oh, a biscuit jointer is really nice too.

I had a decent woodshop set up in the last place I lived. I rented a house and basically turned the extra wide 2 car garage into a woodshop. Now that I live in an apartment I had to get rid of all the large tools.

If I were to start over, it would be with a table saw. I wouldn't even consider one from Home Depot or those sort of stores. Used would be a very viable option. Cast iron base would be high on the list. Another thing that would be a game breaker is a sliding miter. I worked as a cabinet maker for a year or so and we had a sliding miter on the table saw that would hold a full 4 x 8 sheet of plywood. That's a little overkill for the home woodshop. Perhaps something capable of holding a half sheet of plywood would be ok.

Second thing I would look into is dust control. After a table saw I would get a dust collection system. Nothing fancy. Just enough to help with all the saw dust. A large shop vac at the minimum.

After that I would think about a joiner, planer, and router. Joining and planing can be done by hand or hand held tools but they sure make things easier. A router and router table adds a lot to a woodshop. I had 3 routers and 2 router tables. One of the tables was a cheap plastic thingy. Worked ok for small stuff. The other table I made and it was countertop high. Had various fences for it. It got lots and lots of use.

Sorry for the long post.

Whatever you do decide to buy, don't cheap out, especially if you are serious about the hobby. You get what you pay for. And make sure you square up your saw blades. Nothing worse than going to join to pieces of wood only to find out your blade is slightly out of square.

Make sure to buy decent carbide bits for your router. It's tough when you're in the store looking at non-carbide bits for $5 and entry level carbide bits for $35 ... But the carbide is worth the price. Non carbide will burn up halfway through your first job.

A good corded drill is great.

A decent full sized table saw is also key.

Buy a decent compressor and some cheap harbor freight air tools and you'll wonder how you ever lived without a compressor.

I've also really enjoyed owning a bench sanders for hobby projects.

Lots of people suggested good saw blades. I totally agree with this tip and in fact I can offer another suggestion regarding blades.

Have separate blades for solid wood and man made products (mdf mainly). MDF really dulls a blade because of all the glue and stuff in it.

The cabinet shop owner I worked for had very specified blades. One for plywood that was ultra precise, one for rough cutting, one for mdf, etc. I carried this same philosophy to my smaller woodshop.

Back