Taking Homebrew on a plane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lzrdkng14

Reaction score
Hey guys, just looking for some shared experiences in checking luggage with homebrew in it. I have read through lots of old forums all over the web and have a pretty good idea on how to make sure this works...

I have 4 stainless steel growlers with fliptops. Going to put them side by side in a small hard shell suitcase. Also going to fasten the lids with electric tape and/or zip ties. In between the growlers, going to put some bubble wrap, where I can fit it. On the other half of the suitcase will be my memory foam pillow which should also stabilize everything. Not planning on putting any clothes in here as I will have a garment bag for my work clothes...

What should I be concerned about?

I have seen some guys put notes in there for the TSA guys, any one do that?

Thanks

Subscribed. Interested in this for my trip to visit family in March.

People bring wine on planes a good bit.

I'm certain you should be good.

But - always call the airline to see their policies.

I check a carefulyl packed case of homebrew every time I fly home. Havent had one break yet...I put a sticky note on my box that says "This is my homebrewed beer. It would mean a lot to me and my family if you actually take care to repackage it. THANKS"

The limit is 50lbs or you have to pay +$100 so be careful. The one time I was over (using clothes to pad outside the box), I had to chug one of them to get it to the right weight. Luckily, I had stuck everythign in my car the night before so it was decently cold

I bring back bottles in luggage just about every trip, never thought about SS flip top growlers. Never had a problem with TSA, never wrote any note and never got any personalized message not to do it. I just wrap dirty clothes around the bottles and never had any problems.

Your idea for a separate bag is definitely better. I would assume they would just use the sample pad and machine to test for explosives on the growlers. So they would be undoing any bubble wrap you use. With that said I would go with zip ties and a note thanking them for doing a delicate job and thank you for being gentle with the beer. :mug:

Asking the TSA would be your best bet on how they handle unlabeled resealable containers. Probably over thinking this if the brewery is required to tag the growler when it is filled.

@WesleyS :goat:

I've not brought homebrew on a plane, but I did bring several bottles of wine a few years ago. I was a bit nervous so I told the baggage check in person that there was wine in my bags. They asked if it was packed well enough to survive and I explained my packaging.

When I got to my destination there was one of those "we looked through your crap" pamphlets in my luggage, but everything was intact and fine.

You are allowed to bring a certain amount of alcohol with you, but I forget exactly how much.

On a somewhat related note, what do you think the policy is for bringing the mini-bar sized bottles of booze in your carry-on if you put them in a zip-loc bag? If it works for shampoo, it should work for hooch too right? I'm thinking it might take the edge off my next trans-Atlantic flight if I try it but I don't want to get arrested for something that goofy

On a somewhat related note, what do you think the policy is for bringing the mini-bar sized bottles of booze in your carry-on if you put them in a zip-loc bag? If it works for shampoo, it should work for hooch too right? I'm thinking it might take the edge off my next trans-Atlantic flight if I try it but I don't want to get arrested for something that goofy

Yes, those are ok. I've done it.

However, probably still best to ask.

I have had it with the mother#$%&ing homebrews on this mother#$%&ing plane

Last edited:
I fly home with loose New Glarus bottles every time I'm within a two hour drive of Wisconsin. I usually just layer them in with my clothes between the bottles as best I can, no issues yet.

My last trip coincided with an R&D release and I wasn't planning to be back for a while. I fit two bombers of lambic, the two R&D bottles, and 9 12-oz bottles (the 10th didn't fit) into my standard 21" roller bag. It was 49.9#, and it had been unpacked and repacked by TSA by the time it made it back to Seattle, but all of the bottles were safe and sound.

My biggest tip would be to drop each growler in a trash bag first. I have had the standard screw-top ones leak a little when the pressure changes.

Well that has changed since I last looked in 3 years!

See food tab: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items

Per a search on the TSA website:

"Alcohol or alcoholic beverages in amounts greater than 3.4 oz. must be transported in checked baggage.

Bottles of alcohol 3.4 ounces or less must adhere to the 3-1-1 rule for liquids: containers must be 3.4 ounces or less; stored in a 1 quart/liter zip-top bag; 1 zip-top bag per person, placed in the screening bin. Larger amounts of liquids, gels, and aerosols must be placed in checked baggage.

Please note: The FAA limits quantities of alcohol permitted on board planes based on the alcohol content (proof). In general, there is no limit on the amount of alcoholic beverages containing 24% or less alcohol in checked baggage. You may take up to five liters of alcohol with an alcohol content that is between 24% and 70% per person as checked luggage if it’s packaged in a sealable bottle or flask. Alcoholic beverages with more than 70% alcohol content (140 proof), including 95% grain alcohol and 150 proof rum are not permitted in either carry-on or checked luggage.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane."

Looks like it's a go!

You are allowed to bring a certain amount of alcohol with you, but I forget exactly how much.

For checked bags, no limit on beer/wine. Higher proof stuff up to 5 liters. Nothing over 140 proof. Course the airlines will have total weight limits.

On a somewhat related note, what do you think the policy is for bringing the mini-bar sized bottles of booze in your carry-on if you put them in a zip-loc bag?

You're good as long as it meets the 3-1-1 rule (yeah!). But you can't drink it on the plane (boo!). You're only allowed to consume alcohol that the flight attendant serves.

But if at some point on the flight you find you need a little swish or three of mouthwash ...

Like said before SS growers taped together is going to look suspicious. I would bottle it so when they open the bag they can see it is beer. I bring back several bottles of booze from my trips with no issues I just wrap each bottle up around some clothes and put them in the middle of my bag.

For checked bags, no limit on beer/wine. Higher proof stuff up to 5 liters. Nothing over 140 proof. Course the airlines will have total weight limits.

The FAA has restrictions for flammable items. Over 140 proof and lithium batteries are nothing new.

Only thing I'd be concerned about is that it is going to look exactly like a bomb on an x-ray.

I took this on a plane once, checked baggage. Last minute ticket, too; needed to get some replacement parts to a testing site. No inspection.

Point being, try not to overthink it, I guess.

DSCN0730.JPG

DSCN0732.JPG

I should add, my beer is already in kegs and my flight is on Friday so bottles not an option.

I was thinking of putting beer related stickers on the growlers thinking that would at least tip off whomever might search it that it is beer inside. Plus, I believe they do a scan for explosives on the outside of the containers anyway.

Ziplock each growler and tape/ziptie and I think I'll be good. Will take pics once I pack things up on Friday.

I have had it with the mother#$%&ing homebrews on this mother#$%&ing plane

Don't know if you've ever caught the tv edited version of that line...

I've had it with these monkey-fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

My boys and I still laugh about that one.

If you can label your bottles (or growlers), that can't hurt. Pack the bottles so they won't shift, but plan on the TSA lads having a look (I have a collection of TSA flyers that is competing with my bag claim sticker pile). As always, it depends on a combination of the airport and luck- I generally get fewer TSA lovenotes on my MSN departures than DEN, with equally sketchy packing each way. What that means, no one really knows...

Agreed with the taping/enclosing of a growler, just in case it leaks.
Don't know if you've ever caught the tv edited version of that line...

I've had it with these monkey-fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

This made my Tuesday, thanks.

I'd wouldn't fret the appearance too much. They can also do a residual swab test to see if there are any explosives (or whatever it's called).

And sorry for the minor thread jack here, but I always chuckle when I read these "how can I pack my booze" threads. A few years ago I was coming out of Santiago, Chile and bought two bottles of wine at the airport but there was a mix up with my suitcase so I carried them onto the plane - no problem. In Chile.

I had to fly through Panama and they wouldn't let me on the plane with the two bottles and said I had to check them, which I did. In nothing but the plastic bag I was carrying! Sure as heck, these two bottles of wine in their little plastic bag made it to Orlando safe and sound. I just laughed when I saw this bag coming down the conveyor belt at bag claim!

My concerns are mainly:

A. They open the containers and I lose the carbonation
B. They open the containers and dump them out

But I am only going from PHL to MCO (Orlando) - so I think I will probably be OK.

They wont open the containers. Theyll just root around in your bag. Sometimes, I dont even have one of the "your bag has been check by TSA" tags after the flight

They wont open the containers. Theyll just root around in your bag. Sometimes, I dont even have one of the "your bag has been check by TSA" tags after the flight

Yep, there's no issue flying with Homebrew, or most any other alcohol for that matter. Just make sure when you pack that it won't break open.

Most times when I fly, the majority of the baggage weight for my checked bag is booze, guns, and ammo.

I would assume they will check and would open one because it is in the SS and a xray would not see throught it as the contents of a glass bottle can be seen.

you can bottle from your keg.

Well... I'm boarded, bag is checked. 4 growlers in there. Double zip ties on each, with bubble wrap and memory foam pillow...

I'll post an update in a few hours

Truth, I have checked a six pack of my home brew before and just put my own labels on them - they clearly inspected my bag, and left it alone.

OF course the funniest time was recently when my wife and I were getting away for a little couple vacation time and the TSA agent spied something on the X-ray and wanted to look further. I asked, "What are you looking for" and he angled his monitor towards me and said "that" - pointing to a cylindrical tapered object in my wife's carry on. I looked him in the eye and said "well, that's my wife's glass sex toy and if you want to pull that out and have a look, be my guest. He looked at me, then her (who, God love her, was grinning at him) and said, "Oh. Well in that case, you're clear to go" ...

Back