Homebrewer applying for part time Brewery Beertender - resume?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian66

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been looking for a part time job to help cover some debt. There are a couple of local Craft breweries hiring Beertenders. Outside of homebrewing I don't have any experience. These job listings say submit resume and cover letter. I have very little to put on a resume as far as brewing goes - it would be TIPS certification and homebrewing.
Should I create a mini-resume anyway or just put this in a cover letter?

Any thoughts?

If they ask for resume and cover letter, you really need to send a resume with your cover letter. Anything else says "I can't follow directions."

General resume advice (I have never hired for restaurant/bar positions): the resume can/should list all recent work experience, even if not related to tending bar ... this says "I am capable of being gainfully employed," and this is important. Service-industry experience, even if not as recent, could be included. Homebrewing likely isn't going to be much of a consideration, but you could mention it in a "Hobbies/Outside Interests" section, which actually shouldn't include your hobbies and outside interests unless they are directly or tangentially job-related.

Anyone want to weigh in on whether becoming a Certified Beer Server (Cicerone), which can be done online, is worth doing?

If they ask for resume and cover letter, you really need to send a resume with your cover letter. Anything else says "I can't follow directions."

General resume advice (I have never hired for restaurant/bar positions): the resume can/should list all recent work experience, even if not related to tending bar ... this says "I am capable of being gainfully employed," and this is important. Service-industry experience, even if not as recent, could be included. Homebrewing likely isn't going to be much of a consideration, but you could mention it in a "Hobbies/Outside Interests" section, which actually shouldn't include your hobbies and outside interests unless they are directly or tangentially job-related.

Anyone want to weigh in on whether becoming a Certified Beer Server (Cicerone), which can be done online, is worth doing?
Thanks - most have the classifieds for beertender say homebrewing is a plus. Some require the first Cicerone Cert and some don't. One of the positions I'm applying for says they will pay for the Cicerone Cert in the first 90 days of employment.

I do have a resume as I've been in IT for 30 years. Good point that they want to see you can/have been gainfully employed. Just seems like a 2 page resume of programming, software support etc could seem a distraction since it would have very minimal relevance to this position.

Thanks - most have the classifieds for beertender say homebrewing is a plus. Some require the first Cicerone Cert and some don't. One of the positions I'm applying for says they will pay for the Cicerone Cert in the first 90 days of employment.

I do have a resume as I've been in IT for 30 years. Good point that they want to see you can/have been gainfully employed. Just seems like a 2 page resume of programming, software support etc could seem a distraction since it would have very minimal relevance to this position.
True, pare it down to 1-2 of your most recent paid positions. On the home brewing side, light how you are familiar with different styles if you keg, maybe touch on the cleaning etc. enough to be interviewed.

Your 30 years of IT experience may be helpful not only with the ability to deal with IT issues but also it shows that because of your age you may be a good candidate for assistant manager to manage the younger kids.

If the IT experience was anything like my decades of IT, then dealing with people is what it shows, and hopefully it counts. Relating to people, listening well, answering concisely the actual question asked and knowing when you don't know something -- all good traits I should think for working with people. And knowing beer styles and cleaning obsessively as a homebrewer should be good also.

Gonna weigh in here, as a homebrewer who is a former bartender (in bowling alleys for 14 years) as well. For a 'beertending' position (assuming no mixed drinks, just pouring pints of whatever is on tap), knowledge of what you are pouring is a plus; but bartending is a lot more than that. Dunno what your state requires, but here in WA anyone who works as a bartender or server (and this includes at craft beer locations) has to pass a 102 question test after taking a 90 minute class. Most of the questions have to do with 1) how to tell if someone is drunk; 2) what to do if your customer is obviously drunk; and 3) what happens to YOU if you serve/overserve someone and they leave your establishment and injure/kill someone. We are serious about that here. I've been offered lots of $$ over the cost of a drink to serve someone who obviously did not need anymore; also been bullied by managers to serve their friends who were in the same boat. There are laws protecting servers/bartenders from those situations; i.e. you cannot be fired for refusing service, and can sue if your boss tries to make you serve someone who is obviously drunk.

It is not an easy job. The way movies and TV portray bartenders (except for maybe Bar Rescue) is a complete farce, for the most part. In one night, you can be someone's best friend, confidante, counselor, and that asshat who won't give them what they want; sometimes within the course of an hour. You are also on your feet for several hours (ain't no room for chairs behind a standard bar setup), and the hours suck.

Did I enjoy bartending? Yes, I did. But those situations listed above pretty much killed it for me, fun-wise, in the end.

I think being an experienced homebrewer could be a pretty big plus in terms of understanding how beer is made, what makes different styles different, etc. Novice craft beer drinkers will ask a lot of questions about the beers and showing your ability to convey the brewer's and/or owner intentions with their beers is a great asset. The cover letter should explain that. The TIPS is likely a requirement while brewing is icing on the cake.

I'd take note of what beers are currently on tap and do a little homework on BJCP.org if you're not fully aware of what a particular style is. They may ask you what you know about those beers. If I owned the brewery, I would ask.

Last edited:

Exactly and very good advice. When I was in a position of hiring the requirements of applying for the job that I posted in an ad were a sort of test to see who followed directions. Those who submitted the asked for materials often got the job... those who did not very rarely did. Often however the job could have a pretty low bar (no pun intended). Our local brew pub just posted on Facebook that they are expanding their hours and looking for servers. Basically they just want bodies to pour and serve beer part time.

There are a couple of local Craft breweries hiring Beertenders. Outside of homebrewing I don't have any experience.
Don't worry about that - although as mentioned above, bartending is a lot more complicated than just pouring beers (I certainly recognise the "best mates to WWIII in an hour" scenario!), bars are well used to training up newbies. In any case, so much of it is about attitude rather than what you know - evidence that you can show up on time, without a hangover, and can generally be trusted around tills full of cash and cellars full of $$$$'s of alcohol will put you ahead of a majority of the competition.

Having had some involvement with recruiting and managing bar staff, attitude is key. You can't teach a willingness to muck in (even if it's technically not your job to do something or it's a bit unpleasant), and attention to detail like picking up all the butts from the smokers' corner or cleaning lines properly.

For a beer-led place like a brewery tap, they will particularly appreciate the attention to cleaning that is second-nature to a homebrewer (it's not a given in the wider population...) although eg a non-brewing bar manager might need that to be spelled out, but perhaps the thing they will appreciate most is enthusiasm for beer. Not in the "slab of Bud every night" sense but an enthusiasm for all the different kinds of beer.

The big problem for a brewery is that ideally they would sell eg a keg a week of 10 different lines, but instead they will sell 7 kegs of the Citra IPA and only a few pints of some of the others, which may mean they end up getting wasted. A bartender who can enthuse about those other beers can make all the difference in getting customers to buy them - which in turn means the brewer doesn't need yet another gyle of the Citra IPA but can spend the time on new beers that are more fun for her.

So they're less interested in whether you can brew a 40-point IPA (that's their job!), but it's very much a good thing if your interest in beer is wide-ranging enough to have had a go at eg an alt or a wit or a mild, even if they weren't very good. And any other evidence of a wide interest in the diversity of beer is a Good Thing.

Thanks again for the replies! I've taken all of this advice and incorporated it into my resume and cover letter. I applied to 2 "Open" positions and just communicated with 2 more breweries. Two have replied that it's slow season - one from an ad and one I solicited. We'll see what the other two respond . . .

you need to overcome the lack of experience, Home brewing suggests product knowledge. Since you cant list bar tending experience, what an employer will also desire (and sometimes more important that pouring drinks) is being responsible, attention to responsibilities, maturity (its a business and not a party and their are legal liability for overserving ) cleanliness and flexibility. You may be able to articulate these in your non-bartending experience and should be able to articulate specifically in the cover letter, especially if they mention these in the job posting.

Accomplishments are better than listing responsibilities. For example : Lead a team to do such and such project that resulted in 20% reduction in procession costs.

Thanks again for the replies! I've taken all of this advice and incorporated it into my resume and cover letter. I applied to 2 "Open" positions and just communicated with 2 more breweries. Two have replied that it's slow season - one from an ad and one I solicited. We'll see what the other two respond . . .

This time of years is notoriously slow in the hospitality world. Keep plugging away, it picks up in February and you want to stand out in front of them before they decide to look at candidates. Meanwhile visit the places and gather all the information you can about them. take not of what they served and learn about each one so you can come across and an expert in their products. Know who the brew master is and his/her background. Watch the current bartenders and learn from them (they might even recommend you).

Be open to start in another position like a back bar doing the cleaning duties as a way to apprentice into serving.

This time of years is notoriously slow in the hospitality world. Keep plugging away, it picks up in February and you want to stand out in front of them before they decide to look at candidates. Meanwhile visit the places and gather all the information you can about them. take not of what they served and learn about each one so you can come across and an expert in their products. Know who the brew master is and his/her background. Watch the current bartenders and learn from them (they might even recommend you).

Be open to start in another position like a back bar doing the cleaning duties as a way to apprentice into serving.
Thanks. I have a phone call on Tuesday with a local brewery.

Thanks again everyone for the input. I have been hired and have onboarding tomorrow night.

That's awesome. BTW, I ran a credit repair business for a number of years and my number one advice was to moonlight to pay off debt and then build savings. Congrats on the job and kudos for you to attack that debt - it takes time but will snowball and as you knock down the debt the money you save on interest will go to knocking down principal.

Anyway, that's great news

That's awesome. BTW, I ran a credit repair business for a number of years and my number one advice was to moonlight to pay off debt and then build savings. Congrats on the job and kudos for you to attack that debt - it takes time but will snowball and as you knock down the debt the money you save on interest will go to knocking down principal.

Anyway, that's great news
Thanks! My thoughts exactly and I get to be around something I love.

Last edited:
So I've been working at this brewery for about 5 weeks. Minimal training as it got busy right after I started - no big deal as it's not hard to pour/restock etc. When I applied back in January I applied to 4 breweries. 2 responded - one being where I'm at now, the other said it's the slow season and they'd contact me going forward. Well they've contacted me and I have an interview next week. This second brewery is about half the distance from my house than where I'm working now - 20 mins vs 40 mins. This is somewhat significant to me as right now I sometimes don't get a day off between my day job and the brewery job. The industry is small and I've found you run into people from different breweries. Since I've been working I've met the head brewers at 2 other breweries and another beertender from a different brewery.

If the second brewery works out I'm a little torn on what to do. The shorter commute is a major plus but I don't want to necessarily offend or get a bad rap with the other brewery since it seems to be common to run into different people from these local breweries.

Any thoughts? Should I not worry at all about it and do what's best for me after I've evaluated the 2 situations? Should I be more cognizant of my current brewery job and how well it's gone, the training I have received etc? In other words have some loyalty?

Tough call. If both are equivalent entry level jobs, stay put to for a while to put some reliability on your resume. If the other job provides a better path to your long term goals then you have to do what’s best for you. If 6he are both just means for extra cash then the shorter commute to protect your other job would make sense. One more thing to consider. The current place was able to hire you when the other didn’t have the revenue to do so. Working for a company that can weather slow periods and keep staff on the books is a good thing.

Working for a company that can weather slow periods and keep staff on the books is a good thing.
This is an important point. It would be good to talk them about seasonality, how they handle slow periods, etc.
If you decide to change jobs be sure to offer to work out a notice to give them time to find your replacement. You don't want to burn bridges in the local brewing community.

Good points - thanks for the replies. First and foremost it's a means to get extra cash. I figured if it could be in the beer industry and fit my schedule that's an added bonus. Right now I have no spare time so it doesn't help that I'm driving extra (and spending more on gas). Good point on the slow periods, however the base salary is below minimum wage and not really worth it if some tips aren't coming in.

Thanks again - gives me somethings to consider!

Sorry if anyone has already said this, but there is a type of resume called a functional resume where you focus on skills rather than on your work history/experience You have a section that lists all pertinent skills. As a homebrewer there are many skills that transfer directly from your homebrewing hobby: preparing ingredients, monitoring temperatures in a mash and during fermentation; choosing, weighing and adding hops, etcetera.

Gonna weigh in here, as a homebrewer who is a former bartender (in bowling alleys for 14 years) as well. For a 'beertending' position (assuming no mixed drinks, just pouring pints of whatever is on tap), knowledge of what you are pouring is a plus; but bartending is a lot more than that. Dunno what your state requires, but here in WA anyone who works as a bartender or server (and this includes at craft beer locations) has to pass a 102 question test after taking a 90 minute class. Most of the questions have to do with 1) how to tell if someone is drunk; 2) what to do if your customer is obviously drunk; and 3) what happens to YOU if you serve/overserve someone and they leave your establishment and injure/kill someone. We are serious about that here. I've been offered lots of $$ over the cost of a drink to serve someone who obviously did not need anymore; also been bullied by managers to serve their friends who were in the same boat. There are laws protecting servers/bartenders from those situations; i.e. you cannot be fired for refusing service, and can sue if your boss tries to make you serve someone who is obviously drunk.

It is not an easy job. The way movies and TV portray bartenders (except for maybe Bar Rescue) is a complete farce, for the most part. In one night, you can be someone's best friend, confidante, counselor, and that asshat who won't give them what they want; sometimes within the course of an hour. You are also on your feet for several hours (ain't no room for chairs behind a standard bar setup), and the hours suck.

Did I enjoy bartending? Yes, I did. But those situations listed above pretty much killed it for me, fun-wise, in the end.

I knew this guy had it in the bag. Home hobbyist directly related to the field is a huge plus. I was hired on that point - 20yrs IT, getting close on 10yrs a manager in call centers - skilled up from taking calls. I demonstrated exuberance for the craft in the interview and I expect the same from my newhires. Its only bitten me a couple times. The ones that don't make it are always lacking in customer facing soft skills. You generally never know how that is going to play out. That is a real weakness in the interview process - seen from this side.

First and foremost it's a means to get extra cash. I figured if it could be in the beer industry and fit my schedule that's an added bonus. Right now I have no spare time so it doesn't help that I'm driving extra (and spending more on gas).
As an employer - albeit coming from a British cultural perspective so I may be off - I wouldn't begrudge someone halving their commute. At least not too much - yes the timing is pretty crappy just as you're starting to be useful, and recruitment is a pain. But on the flip side you're not *that* important to them if they're paying you less than min wage, it's not like you're the head brewer.

But if the cash is the main thing, then you've got to be a bit ruthless - and I would also not underestimate the real costs of commuting 40 minutes (each way right?), it's not just fuel costs but tyres and everything else.

At the very least you need to try and work out how the money side works out, since that's "first and foremost". What's the full cost of commuting and how much does the shorter commute save (and hence put $x in your pocket, tax-free)? If we're talking two shifts a week, you're saving 4x20 minutes = 1h20m - can you convert that into additional work time and hence $y wages, or at the very least it has some soft value as downtime. Don't underestimate the importance of making debt reduction sustainable, 12+ months of knocking off $500/month works much better than 3 months of living on beans to save $1000/month but then going off the rails for 9 months because you just couldn't keep it up. It's tough working 7 days a week, and a bit of downtime can be an important part of keeping it up.

It depends a bit on how you feel about the non-cash aspects of the current job - the potential for adding to your CV, adding to your brewing experience, just how enjoyable it is to work there. But as you say cash is king here. Still, once you've worked out what $x+$y looks like - which may not be until after the interview - then you can go to your current boss and say - "I hate to do this to you but I've been offered a job with half the commute that is worth ($x + $y) to me, is there a way for you to match that?" Obviously don't do that if it involves a ridiculous increase, but for a small increase it might be worth doing. Depends how you feel about the current place.

As far as your reputation goes - as I say nobody who matters will begrudge you halving your commute. From an employer's perspective, the worst reputation is for theft, but the second-worst is for the kind of flakiness that leaves them in the lurch at the last moment. So don't show up for a shift at 6pm on Friday and announce that you're leaving so they're a man down for the weekend. That's bad.

But try and see it from the POV of your bar manager - if you're in the position to say that you can work a couple of weeks' notice, that helps him a lot. Or maybe if one place is downtown and is busiest with the after-work crowd on a Friday, and the other is more suburban and is busiest on a Saturday then perhaps you could have a week or two of working the busy shift at each. Obviously you don't want to be too "generous" in your offer of notice etc as (assuming you get the offer) your new place will probably want you to start ASAP, but it's worth thinking about this kind of thing.

But it's not compulsory - depends how relations are with the old place.

Also worth pointing out that you are still useful to the old place just because you know your way around the till system, cellar etc and can be thrown into a service without any training. So it can be useful to the manager to have a couple of people like that in the phonebook to draft in for festivals and other big events where they need every pair of hands they can get, or as an emergency replacement when someone's cried off sick 10 minutes before service. So you might want to leave that option open as another way to soften the blow, if you can work it with the new place.

As an employer - albeit coming from a British cultural perspective so I may be off - I wouldn't begrudge someone halving their commute. At least not too much - yes the timing is pretty crappy just as you're starting to be useful, and recruitment is a pain. But on the flip side you're not *that* important to them if they're paying you less than min wage, it's not like you're the head brewer.

But if the cash is the main thing, then you've got to be a bit ruthless - and I would also not underestimate the real costs of commuting 40 minutes (each way right?), it's not just fuel costs but tyres and everything else.

At the very least you need to try and work out how the money side works out, since that's "first and foremost". What's the full cost of commuting and how much does the shorter commute save (and hence put $x in your pocket, tax-free)? If we're talking two shifts a week, you're saving 4x20 minutes = 1h20m - can you convert that into additional work time and hence $y wages, or at the very least it has some soft value as downtime. Don't underestimate the importance of making debt reduction sustainable, 12+ months of knocking off $500/month works much better than 3 months of living on beans to save $1000/month but then going off the rails for 9 months because you just couldn't keep it up. It's tough working 7 days a week, and a bit of downtime can be an important part of keeping it up.

It depends a bit on how you feel about the non-cash aspects of the current job - the potential for adding to your CV, adding to your brewing experience, just how enjoyable it is to work there. But as you say cash is king here. Still, once you've worked out what $x+$y looks like - which may not be until after the interview - then you can go to your current boss and say - "I hate to do this to you but I've been offered a job with half the commute that is worth ($x + $y) to me, is there a way for you to match that?" Obviously don't do that if it involves a ridiculous increase, but for a small increase it might be worth doing. Depends how you feel about the current place.

As far as your reputation goes - as I say nobody who matters will begrudge you halving your commute. From an employer's perspective, the worst reputation is for theft, but the second-worst is for the kind of flakiness that leaves them in the lurch at the last moment. So don't show up for a shift at 6pm on Friday and announce that you're leaving so they're a man down for the weekend. That's bad.

But try and see it from the POV of your bar manager - if you're in the position to say that you can work a couple of weeks' notice, that helps him a lot. Or maybe if one place is downtown and is busiest with the after-work crowd on a Friday, and the other is more suburban and is busiest on a Saturday then perhaps you could have a week or two of working the busy shift at each. Obviously you don't want to be too "generous" in your offer of notice etc as (assuming you get the offer) your new place will probably want you to start ASAP, but it's worth thinking about this kind of thing.

But it's not compulsory - depends how relations are with the old place.

Also worth pointing out that you are still useful to the old place just because you know your way around the till system, cellar etc and can be thrown into a service without any training. So it can be useful to the manager to have a couple of people like that in the phonebook to draft in for festivals and other big events where they need every pair of hands they can get, or as an emergency replacement when someone's cried off sick 10 minutes before service. So you might want to leave that option open as another way to soften the blow, if you can work it with the new place.
Thanks for the reply! This does help put some things in perspective, both money wise and pointing out that this is a part-time replaceable position. I do think the current job will understand as they just had another employee leave because having no days off ended up being an issue.

Back