Taking apart drill for motorized mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have been reading a lot of the threads people have posted for their motorized mills. I see a lot either use something to stabilize a drill or get a 1/6-1hp motor. The motors are a bit pricey for my tastes, and currently I just grab my drill and away I do, but I would like to make things a little more "hands-off"

I was wondering if anyone has tinkered with taking a drill apart, mounting the motor and chuck alone, and then using a power control knob (like you would when making a stir plate) for managing output. So basically, removing the casing and mounting just the motor inside. kind of like what is seen below.

Me4OaE1Cv6jwL4pl.huge

OOL4eiNMnEug4WBt.huge

Any ideas or thoughts. I am interested to know what people think of the idea.

Thanks

Last edited:
Get a real motor! Or the famous (<$50) HF Heavy Duty Low Speed drill many of us use. That one even groans under full load, when running at around half speed (~200-300 rpm), but keeps chewing, never stops. It also gets pretty hot after milling 20-25# of grain.

I don't think your portable drill is up to the task in the long run. And it requires rechargeable batteries, they don't last forever either.

There's a thread on using low voltage motors like those used for car seats, etc. They even have trouble.

Sorry, I should have specified. The images are for example only. I have a corded Ryobi that works really well and has plenty of power. If I was going to do this, I would use that or something like the HF heavy duty. The image is just an online stock image to showcase the general idea of removing the motor from the casing.

Back